I was wondering if anyone has ever given some kind warranty when selling used equipment? I've seen in the past where a seller has offered to pay up to a certain amount for repairs when selling something used. Either up to a certain amount or a 50/50 deal up to a certain amount. It would be for 30 days up to maybe 90 days. Just a way to ensure the buyer you're selling a good product. I know some potential buyers would rather just pay less and take their chances but I was thinking it you sold something with a similar warranty a dealer would give for the same item would make it more appealing especially if the price was 15 to 20% lower than the dealer was charging? It's a risk but some machines basically work or they don't. Curious what people think?
can of worms. If they abuse it and break something, then it is your word against theirs. That is enough reason, IMO.
NO
Definitely NO. You don't want to carry the risk of used equipment being operated by idiots you don't know, doing things they should never do with it. In other words, you have no control over how the item is going be used or abused, so you don't offer warranty on the item - unless you've got a bank behind you. It's bad enough trying to get warranty on new equipment from dealers or manufacturers, and I don't know of any used equipment dealers offering warranties on used items.
I wouldn't. Too many people would abuse it.
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of a way to make the welder I'm selling more appealing. It's an electric welder and not much ever goes wrong with them. A welder repair shop has a similar welder for $300 more but no cables or power cord. The one I'm selling has 50ft. of #1 cable and an extra long 16ft. power cord. The cable and power cord is worth about $350. I was offering some welding lessons because a few people showed interest in the last welder I sold. The other thought is I could offer to deliver it within about an hour's distance. It weighs about 400lbs. If someone on the forum was close to Edmonton and needed a good welder I'd give them a good deal.
Delivery is a good thing. If you want to add value that works.
Be patient. You are looking for a specific type of buyer and most nowadays that know little about welding will be looking at a new chinese made cheap one for their first machine. After it craps out, they will look for better quality
Yeah, I need someone who knows a little bit about welding and machines to see the ad. I'm asking a good price but it's only $100 more than a new Lincoln AC225 buzz box and 10 times the welder. Most people don't realize the cheap inverters have a fairly short lifespan and if something goes wrong, they aren't worth fixing. Another thing someone pointed out is it's a lot harder to steal a 400lb. welder. I could add an unopened 50lb. can of rods but I'll add I could deliver it within a reasonable distance. The trailer shop where it's at has a small trailer with ramps it could be rolled off. It's a Miller Dialarc 250P AC/DC. The P means it has power factor capacitors so will work on a smaller breaker. Unless running it at max. it will run on the same breaker as a buzz box.
You can sell it with a warranty. Just make sure the buyer understands that the warranty expires when the cash hits your hands.
Maybe a 50/50 warranty would be fair. Yep, 50 feet from your shed and 50 seconds!
We have tail-light warranties, and concrete warranties here. When the buyers tail-lights are out of sight, the warranty expires - or the concrete warranty expires as soon as they leave the concrete driveway!
I offered 2 warranties as well: 50/50 50 feet or 50 seconds, whichever came first and 2/19 warranty. My shop was on US19. The warranty was good until they got to US 19.
No way. I've sold stuff as-is there it sits and have folks call back months later complaining something broke. Can't imagine what they would do if I gave them a warranty.
I'm all about truth in advertising... It’s a piece of crap $800 Listed 2 days ago in Hendersonville, TN Message Details Condition Used - Fair New tires, new battery, new brakes(front)! But thats all that works on it. It is in bad shape. It looks like the neighbors pterodactyl left a present on the side door and maybe a small woodland creature died on the inside by some of the carpet stains. The driver seat doesn’t move so you get a free phone charger that’s stuck underneath. There is some loose change permanently stuck to the middle console, so your Aldi quarter is included. It does need a front and rear seal. Oil pan gasket needs replacing as well as the starter. It does not run. If you like project cars, well here ya go. You buy, you tow. The title is clean and in hand on purchase. Cash only! But remember, it does have a new battery and front brakes. Also, gimme an offer, you never know.
The next line might be, this lovely POS could be yours!
I think free delivery in “X” distance is attractive enough.. How many times have u seen “NO WARRANTY ON ELECTRICAL ITEMS”..!!! and u wanna warranty USED electrical equipment.?? I think not..
Red-D-Arc gives short warranties on used machines is why I was thinking about it but they have thousands of welders and work on them all the time. Just need to find someone wanting a heavier duty and better welder than a buzz box. I've noticed a lot of people scrimp on their budget when it comes to welding equipment but will fill there toolbox full of Snap-On and other high end tools.
You don't even get warranty on NEW electrical items, if you only just opened the box and looked at it, and realised it's the wrong part!!
Hate to say it, but I have been using my GREEN Everlast chang wang welder in the shop more than my ol BLUE welders lately. I didnt go looking for it, it kinda landed here an couple years ago, but I really like it. My neighbors new red n black machine has been back to the factory twice in the last year tho. Both times for over 2 months. Replaced several boards in my BLUEs also over the years. Times a changing.
I don't think any of the new machines will have the longevity of the older transformers machines. If you break down the price I'm asking, the welder is only $500-$550cad. of the total. I don't think a 250 amp inverter would be any cheaper or as reliable over the long run.
Don't bet on it. Used transformer welders here are only worth scrap copper value today. An inverter welder runs cooler, is much lighter, has a better duty cycle, can run higher amperage, and has no more durability issues than a transformer welder.
Yeah I don't know about overall quality, but here's my 2c. Had a 180amp Chinese inverter mig, used mostly for welding gal cattle rail, building cattle yards. Had it 10yrs, never failed to work, had a few wire feed issues, but probably more wire than welder. Got sick of carting it between properties and had a good year with cattle prices, so I lashed out and bought a 200amp Kemppi, made in Finland, supposed to be the cats meow. Half the size and weight, welds beautifully, but 12 mths in, it died, but intermittent. Took it back under warranty, they couldn't find anything wrong with it, 6hrs back to my half built yards, won't work again, got video. Back to dealer, motherboard replaced this time. Haven't really used much since, but hope it's fixed. Did I get one of the few well built Chinese ones and one of the few bad built flash ones? Don't know, but the Kemppi cost nearly 4x the Chinese one. Getting a bit off topic, sorry Dave.
Inverters haven't been around long enough to say they're more reliable or longer lasting than transformers. Duty cycle depends on the machine. There are many instances of boards going out in inverters where they aren't worth fixing. What does a name brand inverter that goes to 250 amps and has 50% duty cycle at 200 amps cost? A Miller or Lincoln is going to be a lot more than $550. Some people try to compare machines like XMT 304's or newer 350's. Those machines aren't in the same category and cost thousands more.
I sold an old Acklands/Miller 250 Dialarc to a friend of mine about 20 yrs ago. Its about 45-50 yrs old now and the only problem he had was a diode went bad. It was a cheap fix. He welds a lot of portable corral panels
Yeah, diodes or the odd rheostat are about the only issues the Dialarc's ever have. They're in the same category with Lincoln Idealarc 250's. Miller stopped making the Dialarc in 2017 or 2018 but Lincoln still makes the Idealarc 250. Idealarc's have been made since 1956 with only minor differences! Dialarc's started in 1974 but there were similar models before that. The Idealarc 250 is referred to as the workhorse of the Lincoln range and are about $7300cad. new. Cables and/or power cord being a constant, what inverter has 50% duty cycle at 200 amps. and what does it cost?
Anybody make a decent welder that does it all - stick, MIG and TIG? Might be in the market for one when I get power hooked up to the garage.
Not off topic at all. What would you rather buy, a new fangled inverter with a lot of complicated electronics to potentially go bad and be expensive (or not cost effective) to repair or a time tested transformer that has a reputation for lasting 50 or more years and only needing the odd inexpensive repair? There's a good reason Dialarc's and Idealarc's were extremely popular in schools. They stand up to abuse and are great machines to learn how to weld.
I've never seen one but then again I'd never pay over 400 bucks for a welding machine either
I don't know if there is an all in one that has high frequency AC for Tig welding aluminum. If Mig aluminum would be OK, there are a few choices. A lot of people prefer to have separate machines in case something goes wrong with a single machine. When I bought welders for what turned out to be a bad mistake (thankfully a couple friends bought them off me), I bought an AC/DC Tig/stick machine and an all in one Mig machine. Many Dialarc's had spool gun hook ups but the control boxes to run the spool gun got to be too expensive. Sometimes you find them used and they can work off any CC machine. Now most self contained Mig machines have a direct connect spool gun. If you want to run Dual-shield something like a Lincoln 350MP might be a good choice if you aren't doing heavy production. Voltage sensing wire feeders like LN25's can run off CC machines at higher volt settings but the welds don't have the same mechanical properties as they would have on a CV machine. Most of the newer welding machines have a ton of electronics in them that can be great features or the cause of great frustrations. I was talking to a welder repair shop and mentioned the Excel power option on Trailblazers. When it works can save a lot on gas and engine wear but the shop owner said they are very problematic and expensive to fix. I got the feeling it was more trouble than it was worth. Great when you have warranty but after that, yikes! https://ch-delivery.lincolnelectric.com/api/public/content/c24aa461a96842ceb67e99321461309e?v=f215885a
I don't plan on heavy use. Small repair jobs, maybe fabricate some custom exhaust for my bikes and projects. I have a 110 volt MIG right now and honestly its useless for anything heavier than sheet metal or exhaust pipe. Don't really plan to go much beyond 1/4" plate.
Then there's less expensive options than the 350MP. I'd have to do some looking to see what's available.
My problem with transformer welders is this,, Its not the 1950s-1970s anymore. They don't put copper in them anymore. Its copper plated aluminum windings. Duty cycle went to **** after the transition to cheap materials. And honestly I don't want 600 sq/ft of my shop dedicated to huge antique welders. Inverter welders are more tolerant to voltage fluctuations and are much smaller and lighter. In the shop where all I need is a 200amp mig, I like my inverter welder better than my ol MM. For big stuff I have a trailbalzer and a 12vs extreme. The only thing I like about my OLD dinosaur mig machines was the ability to run 30+ lb spools.
What 200 amp Migs were you running that wouldn't take a 12" spool? The Dialarc I'm selling is copper and has a 50% duty cycle at 200 amps. A comparable inverter from Miller is 2-$3000. I preferred a transformer Dimension 452 over an inverter XMT304 for doing x-ray Mig root passes. The 452 had a 100% duty cycle rating while the XMT had a 60% rating. Interestingly I was talking with a long time instructor at the apprentice training facility. He agreed about transformer machines being much better for Mig. He said he could get the arc to do what ever he wanted on the old Hobart transformer machines compared to the new XMT's they got. It's like the arc was too smooth on the XMT's and you need it to be a little coarse. For somebody with a smaller shop or garage that isn't constantly welding but wants a welder that can do some heavier work it doesn't make a big difference between a transformer or inverter. People will argue that a transformer is too big but for a flat top machine like a Dialarc you can put rods, your helmet and tools on top of it. With a smaller inverter you still need a place to put all the other stuff so it's kind of a wash as far as space requirements. Transformers like a Dialarc are proven over decades to be highly reliable and when they do need the odd repair it's not overly expensive. The same can't be said for inverters. Miller machines can be repaired at thousands of approved shops. If you buy an overseas inverter where can you take it and/or how long are you going to be without a machine waiting for parts? Some people don't want to be having to open up their welder and having to try and repair it themselves. There have been some major issues with getting parts and service on some of more common overseas inverters. Getting someone on the phone can be a problem too. For $550cad. it would be hard to find another welder with a similar duty cycle that could match the durability of a Dialarc.
The last shop I was at had a Dimension 452. Loved that machine. I could burn 1/16th inch flux core all day long without an issue.
You need to state which machines you've had and now have to qualify your statements. Something built up to 2018 is hardly an antique. Some of the best welders ever made are antiques and still in demand. As far as being tolerant to voltage fluctuations transformers have at least 10% line voltage compensation. The welder I'm selling also has capacitors which further help to handle power fluctuations. There have been problems with inverters being damaged by power fluctuations. Inverters are smaller and can be moved around easier but it's still easier to use longer welding cables. If you move the inverter closer, where do you put it, on the floor? Who wants to get on their hands and knee's to change the amps? If you have a cart it takes up a bunch more space. I have a very good transformer welder I'm trying to sell. It's perfectly capable of any type of heavy equipment repair or general fabrication using stick electrodes. It will also do scratch start Tig on steel. As an added bonus it also has AC current if you encounter arc blow burning larger rods or welding around irregular shapes. A high frequency could be hooked up for AC Tig welding as well. You see them used fairly often. A welder repair shop here has an Idealarc 250 for sale for $1200. It requires 575 volts and doesn't come with any cables or power cord. I don't think my price is unreasonable. I'll also include some lessons and delivery within a reasonable distance. Who else does that?
I worked at a shop that bought a brand new Dimension 452 for me to use. They had about 6 of them and a Lincoln DC 400. I'd never complain about having a Dimension 452 to do x-ray quality welds whether it was Mig roots, stick or flux-core. Prefer them over XMT's for Mig.
It was a great machine. We were welding up to 1.5" plate along with hard facing wire. I never welded the heavy stuff, I did more of the smaller stuff.
Dave, I think you have your answer. Your sure this old dinosaur is so good, then you should sell it with a warranty. I mean, they are so well built you should be confident that you could garrun-tee it. No problem.
So you can't name what welders you've had and which ones had copper coated aluminum windings with terrible duty cycles? Sounds more like a generic statement to try and support your opinion. Why are you so intent on trying to discount me and one of the best and most popular welders Miller ever made? There's still thousands of them in use. Why are SA200's still sought after by pipeliners? Why do a lot of people prefer older trucks and equipment with less electronics? I was considering a warranty, that's why I asked. I got some very good replies and things I didn't consider. Obviously if a potential buyer came and tried the welder out they could see it worked properly. I would have no way of knowing what could happen after it was loaded on a buyers truck or trailer. If a buyer took me up on lessons I could certainly see for myself if it was hooked up and working properly. It would depend a little bit on the buyer but I wouldn't have a problem telling the buyer to contact me if something went wrong within a short time after the sale. I could offer to pay up to maybe $200 for repairs in a 50/50 type deal. After the feedback I got, I realized that offering a warranty up front is a bad idea. Some people would try to take advantage and find something wrong in order to get some money back. If say a buyer was looking for a good welder and wasn't sure what they should buy I could offer them a short warranty to ease their mind. A new welder isn't necessarily going to weld any better. Some inverters would weld worse.
Before I defend my opinions, please defend yours. How many and which chinese inverter welders have you used?
Sorry, you mentioned specific machines so say what they were. It sounds like you do mostly Mig and not much stick welding. I don't have to try a bunch of different machines Chinese or not to know that a Dialarc 250 is one of the most reliable single phase stick welders made. There's a reason they were made for over 40 years with only minor differences. Forget Chinese inverters. Early Miller XMT 300's were notorious for blowing boards and being more money to repair than they were worth. They were basically blue Powcons because Miller bought the rights. There are very few Powcons still running. General consensus is to avoid them like the plague. However there are still lots of old transformers still going strong after 50 years. I know a shop that went through 3 boards on an XMT 300. I used it a couple times for Mig and it had a really erratic arc. They rarely used it because they had much better transformer power sources. They bought into the hype inverters were so much better but soon learned what a mistake that was. They bought transformer machines after all the problems with the XMT 300. The 304's and 350's are better but still have their problems. I know two people that had Dynasty 300's bite the dust and the boards weren't even available to repair them because they were too expensive. When Dynasty 300's came out they were top of the line Tig welders and quite expensive. They were terrible stick welders however. Even on XMT 350's a Miller service tech. said you should open them up and tighten all the bolts holding the boards every year or so because they come loose. This is because there were several instances where a bolt came undone and shorted the board destroying the machine. Go on the welding web and you can find lots of issues with cheap Chinese inverters. Most of them won't burn 6010 at all. Getting service or parts for them is a real pain too. Having a warranty is kind of useless if there's no warranty depot in N. America. Older inverters with mosfet electronics were also notoriously bad. I tried a cheap Chinese inverter burning stick but can't remember the brand. It was several years ago. It had a really odd arc like bacon frying at less intensity but at lightning fast speed. You couldn't vary your arc length much. It was really weird to weld with and made a weird sound. So what machines were you referring too?
Dave, as much as agree with you on the longevity and durability of the older transformer type welders, the rest of the modern world doesn’t. I just bought a Miller syncrowave 250 and not the DX because it was my grail welder. I am now going to try and sell my older Syncrowave 300 and with leads I will be lucky to get 500 bucks for it. It‘s big, require’s a lot of amps but boy does it stick weld and tig weld great. All the welders from 50 and under schooled on the inverter welders and after using a few with pulse and other amenities, they are unbeatable. I had a HF white face before the Syncrowave 300 and the dimes you could get out it were incredible but your beating a dead horse. Please continue the fight, maybe you will convince someone to go back to a big, loud, high amp machine and I will get more money for my Syncrowave.
Now the subject is changed to Tig welders. A Totally different animal when it comes to inverters. By the way a Syncrowave 250 is a transformer. Too funny, you're talking about the virtues of Tig inverters and bought a transformer Tig. A Syncrowave 250 is an updated Dialarc HF with adjustable AC balance. Welds stick pretty much the same. Since this is a heavy equipment forum, I think most people that do repairs will use stick unless they have larger CV machines to run flux-core. You're certainly not going to get one of those for under $1000cad. Where welders are being sold can make a big difference too. I'm waiting to hear what inverter has 200 amps at 50% duty cycle and costs less than $550cad. Any stick welder is going to need cables of the same size for the same amps. I'm also waiting for Old Doug to list the transformer machines he referred to with crappy duty cycle and copper clad aluminum wires. The only one I know of is a Lincoln AC225 but it's not in the same category. However I did sell an AC/DC version of one with longer #2 cables for $450 in 3 days. A Dialarc is 10 times the welder.
This should be about $475cdn or $350us Everlast 200STi 25 pounds. 16"x7" Not bad for about .77 sq/ft of shop space. 200a=35 percent 160a=60percent 130a=100percent Not bad for brand new. Plenty of fidgets to adjustamabob on this unit to. PowerArc 200STi - Stick Welders | Everlast Generators The all new PowerARC 200STi is built with the true professional in mind. With 200 amps of DC Stick/Live Lift TIG welding power, the new compact digitally controlled IGBT inverter welder cuts no corners on performance or design. The unit features E6010 welding capability making the welder... www.everlastgenerators.com Here is Bob putting some 6010 thru the predecessor to the 200ST1, the 200ST. Same machine with less adjustamabobs. I dont really have much more time to feed ya anymore today. The web is a big place. Dig around and look for yourself.
35% is not 50% and where would you take it for warranty or repairs? Plus GST brings it just under $500 and there may be shipping charges as well. Now you're about the same price for just the welder. You don't have AC current if you encounter arc blow, you still need cables or a long power cord to reach the same 46'. If you don't want to put the machine on the floor you'd probably want a cart of some sort. Add all that up and you're pretty close on price and still have less duty cycle. 15% can be a big difference if you have bigger project and are using 5/32" or even 3/16" rods. From what I've read from Everlast owners (in the US mostly) you have to pay the shipping costs for repairs. If you need parts you have to wait for them to be sent and fix it yourself. Have read of several owners having trouble getting a hold of someone at Everlast and even of people at Everlast being rude. Figuring out what's wrong isn't easy for a lot of people. All the extra fidgets are just more things to go bad. I'm still waiting for the list of machines with copper plated aluminum wires and crappy duty cycles. You made the comment so it should be easy to answer. Another thing that strikes me as a little bizarre is that while you're all for the latest inverter technology in welders, and call transformers dinasaurs, you drive a 1982 pick up and want to fix up a 1984 but don't want anything much newer than that. Most people would consider a 1982 pick up a dinasaur. It begs the question, why is a 40 year old pick up perfectly fine but a welder of the same vintage isn't? I can think of some reasons but they'd apply to proven transformer welders as well. I'm not against inverters but have a perfectly good transformer with proven reliability and people come on here and try to say a cheap Chinese inverter is a better welder. If the main objective is sound high strength welds that are fairly easy to achieve, there's nothing wrong with a transformer like a Dialarc. If someone was going to pay $800 for a new Lincoln AC225, I'd suggest an inverter too although the AC225 is the most popular welder in the world. Many people claim you can't kill them. I'd beg to differ with that statement.
I think you canads are fooked. But here in the good ol USA, shipping is free for warranty service. I however had never needed any service on mine or anyone I know of with one. They are a pretty good machine.
It was people in the US having to pay for shipping or fighting to get it covered. I never said inverters weren't a good machine. Some are some aren't. They certainly don't have the life expectancy of a good transformer. I'm still waiting for the list of welders with copper coated aluminum wires and crappy duty cycles? You asked me to list some inverters with known issues and I did. Some high end inverters too. Now it's time to list these machines you referred to. If not I'll take it as a generic statement without basis. In the mean time if anyone is looking for a good heavy duty single phase welder for heavy equipment repairs or larger projects, I have one.
Boy Dave, you got me. I give, I throw in the towel. You officially won the internet today. Your official prize, one super high quality, super old, super obsolete welder. Now list it at the auction house and see what it brings!
I figured as much. You want me to back up what I say but can't even back up what you say yourself. Transformers are only obsolete in your mind. There's still thousands of them earning their keep. I don't know why you felt it was necessary to dish on me because I have a transformer welder I'm trying to sell. It burns rods just as good as anything new in the same category and better than some. I'm not desperate to sell it and don't need to put it in an auction. I'd bet it will be running just fine years after your Chinese inverters have let all the smoke out.
Every inverter I ever welded with I found awful hard to light the rod with
It's better with high end inverters like XMT's but the low end models can be iffy and have a weird arc. Even some better inverters state on the brochure not recommended for 6010 root passes.
Dave, you’re being an ass. I told you I agree with you on tranformer welders. I am really upset to learn my grail welder is a transformer welder, the guy selling it must have lied to me, he told me it sounded so loud because there was a Pygmy in there turning a jet engine to cool it. I am so bummed, good luck in selling your Dial Arc. Internet humor for today, just because some ones handle claims they are a welder, look out. This thread started about you selling an old Dial Arc, instead you have decided to derail your own thread. Good luck with the sake, I’m out.
I never asked for opinions or comparisons to inverters. I didn't hijack my own thread. People came on knocking the welder I have and transformers in general. You were going on about how big and loud transformers are jumping on the band wagon they are aren't worth anything. Then you said you bought a Syncrowave 250 that is a transformer basically the same size as a Dialarc. I have no idea what you're thinking or if you're trying to be funny. Why do people need to rain on my parade when all I did was ask if warranty might be a good incentive to sell a welder? If you're trying to suggest I'm not really a welder, the jokes on you. Look in the archives on here and you'll see even some of the most knowledgeable members have referred to me for welding advice. I don't have to prove to you or anyone else if I'm a welder or not. I think 99.99% of what I've posted regarding welding speaks for itself. I'd have to be some kind of exceptionally gifted mastermind to have that much knowledge of welding without being a welder. It's really not cool to suggest anyone isn't who they say they are. A lot of people would be really offended if you suggested they weren't the mechanic, electrician, welder or any other occupation they said they were.
Dave, your welder is a big giant (noisy) boat anchor. I would buy it if I wasn't like 2 or 3 thousand miles away (That's a lot of kilometers in Canadian) I have a Lincoln Buzzbox (bought it when I was 17) and a little 160 amp inverter job, but I need more power, and I like the concept of a welder that will work after a nuclear apocalypse. Maybe instead of a warranty you can offer free shipping? ? ?
It's not that noisy. Some people will position them so the fan blows the smoke away. I think I have a buyer for it. A farmer in Southern Alberta said his Miller Thunderbird AC quit and he thinks the Dialarc would be a good upgrade for him. I've never heard of a Thunderbird so I'm guessing he meant Thunderbolt. He just called in the middle of my typing this. He wants a pic. of the plug to see if he needs to add one in his shop and a video of the machine welding so he can see and hear it working. He killed his machine burning 5/32" rods on 1/2" plate. This machine could do that 1 rod after another all day long. He said he'd pay me for my gas and time to deliver it. I said maybe we could meet somewhere and he was OK with that. He's 4 1/2 hours away. The only thing to figure out is how to transfer it from my truck to his. Maybe on a heavy sheet of plywood and use a come-a-long to roll it from one truck to the other? The guys at the trailer shop might have a good solution. So looks like I'll get my price and then some. He has a Dodge dually and I have an F150. I asked him to measure how high his truck is so I can figure something out. Unless something really bizarre happens it looks like I SOLD IT!
Moved our Miller Bobcat on a sheet of heavy plywood/lumber “stiffener” & come-a-long from the ground up onto the pickup once…just took a bit of elbow grease. Truck to truck shouldn’t be too bad.
We were thinking a come-a-long to pull it from my truck to his. It's on wheels which helps. Kind of sucks he has a big dually.
Dave; If you have an engine hoist it will /should be perfect to do the transfer on the trucks. Mine is portable. I can pull a couple of pins and it folds up for storage. If you don't maybe the buyer can bring one.
I like the comealong idea using heavy plywood and some 2x6’s to shim up and support it in the middle on the tailgate of the lower truck. If your truck has a short box, there may not be room for a picker
I do have a short box. I have a really cheap engine crane but it leaks down pretty fast. I don't have room for it but wouldn't really trust it anyway.
After sending pics. of the plug and name plate showing the input power requirements, his electrician said it will work on the same 50 amp box as his dead Thunderbolt. I knew it would but if he wanted to check to make sure good on him. Wouldn't be good if it wouldn't work in his shop. He texted me this morning he wants the welder. Fantastic! Moving it from my truck to his is the only issue but I had a brainstorm... or a brain fart. I was thinking I could call a farm store in the city we'd meet in advance and see if they could pick it up with their forklift and transfer it? It would sure make it a lot easier. I guess it would depend on if the manager of the farm store is a nice guy or not. Does this sound like a good idea? If not another idea I had was to take my skid steer to pick it up but that's kind of extreme. The other thing is I should get him to bring cash. Then there's no issues with him taking it.
Bring a pry bar and pieces of pipe. Pry one end up, insert pipes. Roll it on the pipes from your bed to his. Prybar to pull pipes back out.
It is on wheels that I think makes it easier. Some thick plywood or maybe planks could work but I can't see a tractor dealer having a problem to move it if asked politely. I think we could move ourselves though. Nice to have a back up plan though.
I think you're making to big a deal moving this thing. Back the trucks tailgate to tailgate. Put down some thinner plywood or metal across the tailgates and roll it across. Use a 2X4 to pry it and not damage the beds. It's only 400# so 100# on each wheel. Tailgates will hold it up just fine. Ever see two or three big guys sitting on a gate. That's 500# easy.
He's in a dually so it's a bunch higher. I'll probably have to leave my tailgate down and have the plywood sticking out some. I have a short box with a slip tank in it. There is a hardware store close to where I'm meeting him so I think it would be good to have a plan b.
Are the old Lincoln 225/125 AC-DC stick welders any good? Any idea what a reasonable price for a working one with leads would be?
They are OK with a real nice arc on DC but barely enough amps for 1/8" 7018. I bought one less than a year ago with 90' of #4 cable for $125 at auction and sold it for $450 due to the cost of the cable. New are like $1100!! Peavey Mart had them on sale for $900 near the beginning of the year. I wouldn't recommend a new one at those prices. I should add that I had a straight AC225 eons ago and could burn standard Blueshield 7018 in 1/8" and even 5/32" without much problems. I have tried several Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC machines and it was an exercise in frustration trying to burn std. 7018. The arc would keep popping and it was very hard to maintain a steady arc. The Lincoln even though it has stepped amps adjustment was way easier to keep a steady arc.
Correction the cable was #4 but it's a crazy price now too.
Whoever buys that is gonna get a great power source for their shop. I have a slightly newer version (I think circa 2001 if I read the serial number right), but that dialarc 250 is an absolute hoss of a machine, can't seem to find the duty cycle. I have it setup in one corner of the shop with a 100ft ground cable and 120ft stinger, it's never moved. I just roll out enough cable to weld I side, outside, in the road, anywhere I need really lol. Use it for everything from 3/32" 6011 to 18" long 3/16" 7024 jet rod running 250 amps good luck on the sale
I sold month's ago. It had capacitors so would run on a 60 amp and even a 50 amp breaker if not used above 200 amps.
I picked up a really old one, guessing it was built in the 80s or 90s for a decent price. Ultimately I want a nice MIG and possibly a TIG setup but this will get me by for a while. The little 110 volt MIG I have can barely weld exhaust pipe. Life lesson learned, never waste money on a 110 volt welder of any kind.
I have a thrift store 120v welder and can make it run OK but it is very finicky to get it to run smooth. It is possible though. Looked at some modern stuff some years back where it would run on 120 or 240, all sorts of options, but I do not weld enough so never bought it. But way more versatile than anything with transformers as the major driver.
I have two Lincoln 120v Mig welders. They both work just fine. It welds 1/8" no problem, maybe thicker.
This thing I have is terrible. It barely gets hot enough to weld sheet metal. Even then it doesn't penetrate well and doesn't make nice beads. I've tried different wire sizes. Fluxcore with and without gas, solid wire with gas and it just seems like I can't get a nice bead with it.
Name brand machines are much better on 120 than the cheap imports. A lot of times you need to have a 20 amp circuit instead of the standard 15 amp.
Mine's probably an import. Even running it on a 20 amp circuit its trash.
Look for one of these. Been running for years. Got both 120v and 230v versions.
I think the SP130 is a box store Lincoln but would still work OK on 120 volts. Some of the cheaper 120 volt machines don't put out the advertised amps. 120/240 machines are generally decent and will burn smaller wire nice if only 120 is available.
That Lincoln won't go below 208v. We do have some 120v boxes. This is the one I like tho..
My latest MIG is a Miller 211 Autoset. Works good on 110v but the duty cycle is not as good as when its on 220. I bought it about 6 years ago and the price has doubled since then. I wouldn’t be able to afford one now though
For a antique--Miller Matic 180--was a super simple machine that performed well. But for the price out of a box store like TSC, Hobart 240--I bought for $1,550. It's a really good machine for mig, a miller owned company.
The price of new welders is astronomical! It makes it hard for people that want to learn how to weld or fix stuff themselves.
I think that is why the cheap crappy ones are selling in large numbers
Probably.
Got me one of them fancy Millermatic 211's, old transformer variety. Love that machine, fortunately got 220 in the shop 110 plug adapter still strapped into cover. Young kid I bought it from didn't even know it would run on 110. Scored machine with a bunch of consumables,new gloves and nice Lincoln auto darkening helmet for $1000 10+ years ago was like brandy spankin' new.