I have a condor 76 with a ford gas engine. Most things work on it, but is choking up when driving. I took the carb off and am cleaning it. But also the hi speed switch doesn't work, and the rheostat speed adjustment doesn't work. I'm assuming that both these control the amount that the governor solenoids contract. I cant find a manual that tells much. The parts manuals from minnpar only show the parts. I need more info on how things operate and some wire locations.
Welcome Davidn33, I maintained several late 70's Condors back in the 80's but they all had Wisconsin V-4 gas engines. Is this Ford an inline 4 or inline 6? Zenith Carburetor? If we can figure out what engine is in there, someone might be able to come up with some information. I have electronic governor info on JLG stuff.
It is 4 cylinder with zenith carb. I cleaned the carb, which should help. It was pretty dirty. But would like to get the high speed switch to work and idle reostat to work, which I don't believe have anything to do with the carb. I think they send a signal to the governor solenoids.
the two common engine speed control systems on those Ford engines were "Precision" and "ADDCO", any sign as to which system your Condor has? The ADDCO system is pretty much in your face on top of the engine. The Precision system uses a control box (that is often very hard to find) in addition to the actuator box you'll see mounted on the engine.
this is what I have.
Very interesting. Do you think that engine could be a transplant? Does the radiator look like belongs there? Where do those 2 solenoid lead to? Do they both go to a different spot on an arm on the governor? They both look to me like "on/off" solenoids, not something that would be adjustable with a rheostat.
The solenoids each have a lever for the governor, but both move at the same time. I was thinking the might be for high speed vs low speed, but the high speed switch has no effect. The seem like on off. It has a wire loom so haven't had time to take it off yet to see where its connected. Doesn't look like a transplant motor, but its possible.