Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG45IC Engine RPM while in basket.

want 2 get high · 2018-08-13 21:59

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I just purchased a JLG lift for use around the farm. I am trying to work through some of the issues. The one I am working on now is related to the engine rpm. When I push the pedal in the basket down the rpm dose not increase as it should. When I first pull the knob up when i get in the basket the rpm will rise for a short period of time and than return to idle. Anyone with any ideas? Thank you for listening.

Replies17
  1. #1want 2 get high2018-08-24 15:06

    No one has any input?

  2. #2LawnDart2018-08-24 19:35

    On my Genie, there is a switch that controls engine RPM. It has three positions. Low, High, and Low, until the peddle is pressed then High. I am not familiar with your JLG but maybe it's similar to mine.

  3. #3southernman132018-08-24 21:35

    I don’t think it’ll gain rpms until you hit drive. It’s gotta be in the hill climb symbol and the boom can’t be above horizontal. Also if u leave your foot on foot switch without using a function it will return to idle after few seconds

  4. #4want 2 get high2018-08-25 20:37

    Thanks for the replies. If I try to move the lift the rpm does not change and at idle it will not move. As it is I lift the cylinder up that should control the rpm automatically and place a clamp on it to hold the rpm up so I can move. So is the switch to change rpm located in the joy stick?

  5. #5OFF2018-09-02 18:32

    A lot of JLG products I've worked on only increase engine RPM in drive, proportionally to movement of the drive joy stick. If your engine RPM increases in drive, then it's probably the case with your machine. I've never driven a 45IC, so I can't say for sure.

  6. #6want 2 get high2018-09-02 19:23

    The rpm does not change on this lift and the lift will not move unless I use a clamp to manually hold the rpm up. So what your saying is the joy stick has something to do with throttle control.

  7. #7OFF2018-09-03 00:33

    Diesel or gasoline engine? I just watched a youtube demo of a 45ic for sale, and the engine really can't heard picking up any RPM other than in drive. it really struggled. Have you ever checked your base/idle rpm? It could be just too low for boom up to work.

  8. #8want 2 get high2018-09-03 10:08

    The boom operates pretty much as it should. The problem I have is forward and reverse motion. At idle it will not move at all which is why I resort to using a clamp to hold the throttle up. Just trying to find a good starting point to look for the the issue. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.

  9. #9want 2 get high2018-09-09 10:38

    From what little I have found up to this point is the RPM should raise to mid when the foot pedal is pushed for operation of the hydraulics and high when the joy stick is activated for drive. Is this correct? At this point all I have is idle. I do get a short increase in rpm when I pull the button up in the basket but falls back to idle again. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

  10. #10southernman132018-09-09 16:09

    I’m pretry sure it only revs when in drive. But I think it revs when you hit a function from ground control. Have you tried operating it from the ground controls ?

  11. #11want 2 get high2018-09-09 20:49

    Pretty much have idle which is fine for the hydraulics but at idle it will not move forward or reverse.

  12. #12southernman132018-09-10 05:16

    Yes I was trying to see if it revs when you hit a function from lower controls. If it does your issue is in the upper control station. Could be broken wire or something of that nature.

  13. #13want 2 get high2018-09-10 11:16

    When in the basket the rpm will raise for just a bit when you pull the knob up to activate the controls.

  14. #14southernman132018-09-10 20:22

    So did you check the operation from the lower controls? You’ve already stated what it does from the upper controls

  15. #15want 2 get high2018-09-13 07:57

    At this time I do not get any changes in rpm at the ground controls. Before I was getting an increase when I would switch to the basket but it didn't change when I ran it yesterday. Thanks for your replies.

  16. #16want 2 get high2018-10-06 17:14

    Up date. After reading another thread involving rpm and looking through the wiring diagram I came to the conclusion I needed a controller. I was getting power to the controller from the both ground and basket controls but the controller was not doing anything with it. 500.00 later the JLG is operating like it should

  17. #17southernman132018-10-06 18:40

    Cool deal! Congrats