Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Confused about John Deere models

edor ยท 2007-10-25 22:53

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of the various letters on the JD dozer models? I once thought they came out with a new letter when they made significant change improvements to the model (higher the letter, newer and better the dozer) but I was told today that the 450H has a more heavy duty transmission than the 450J. On the John Deere site the only current 450 model is J.

Replies4
  1. #1Geno7952007-10-26 19:18

    450J is the replacement for the 450H. Deere always issues a higher letter when they come out with a new model as far as I know. The trans should be as good or better in the 450J. Both models are very reliable as far as I hear. Hope this helps. Eugene

  2. #2edor2007-10-26 20:19

    your right i spoke to a dealer today and your right every letter change is an improvement over the last one - thanks

  3. #3Kgmz2007-10-26 21:47

    I looked at getting a 450J awhile back, but ended up getting a Cat D3G. As far as I know the Deere H and J both have the same engine and hydrostatic drives. Except that the J has better computer control of the hydrostatics, with a few more features over the H.

  4. #4Tigerotor77W2007-10-27 10:19

    May I ask what reasons drove your decision?