Hi, Folks. Bin doin' a bitta mining fer 'heavy metal' around the 'net and came up these little tidbits that some of you may be interested in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_track http://www.allroutes.to/modeltandlombard/12/ http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1340694329040600051stctIF http://www.aonx97.dsl.pipex.com/TE-page/Town/thetford.htm http://www.degelman.com/blades.html http://www.immersivetechnologies.com/ - about training simulators. D'yer think that'll keep you looking fer a while?
Hornsby model Hello Deas: I'm curious if that model of the Hornsby is functional. Whoever built it would have to be a master machinist.
awesome links! mind if i put them on my blog?
Nice
Interesting, and very neat to look at, thanks. Trbo
Hornsby model Hi, Pushblock. Even if it doesn't work, it is still a terrific model. I would not be at all surprised if it does work 'cos people who take the time and trouble to make a model LOOK that good usually like to have all the bases covered and have it working too. And I think you're pretty right about the talents of the maker. If he isn't a master machinist, he IS one very gifted amatuer. Hi, MonsterToys. I have absolutely no objection whatsoever to you putting them on your blog. I doubt the site owners would object either. After all, FREE publicity is usually the best kind. Hi, Mitchman and EZ TRBO. Yer welkum, Fellas. I would add though, that I thought the Wikipedia information missed one tiny minor detail. It appears that something resembling a 'dozer blade may have been used in a couple of places even before the crawler tractor was invented. If you can get your grease-encrusted mitts on a copy of R. G. LeTourneau's autobiography, "Mover Of Men And Mountains", you will find on pages 139-140 that he makes reference to a sort of board or scraper blade hitched AHEAD of a couple of mules that was used to push material to an edge. He ALSO makes reference to the difficulties of getting the mules turned around or backed up for the next push. He makes reference too to the Mormons using something similar in the early days of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Do you know where bulldozer got its name?
As I read this I could have sworn I'd seen such a thing, but what I had in mind was a buck rake, in use for making hay for decades before dozers. Easy to see how farmers would make one with a blade for a horse pushed dozer.