Hi all, Due to quite extensive earth works around my home - as inexperienced noob - I bought myself backhoe loader for $5k which supposed to be working and in good shape. Seller advertised it as 2000 Case backhoe. I tried it, and it worked.. to my little knowledge so I ordered transport and it arrived few weeks later. Unfortunatelly shortly after arrival, it started to have issues. It leaked all over radiator and engine with brown oil/coolant mixture.. Which was not a good sign. So I started digging. Half of serial number plates was missing, engine turned to be 188D... and then it was going downhill Seller vanished, and I started fixing stuff in hope of actually using my investment so I started with leaking radiator and oil-coolant mixture. (to give some background - I've rebuilt few cars, and mitsubishi v6 engines, so I knew something about mechanics and hydraulics before i decided to disect muy CASE frankenstein) I removed front cover which was plastic imitation of newer grill, and underneath i found old one.. much older. power steering hydraulic pistons started to leak like crazy so I ordered service to pick them up and refurbish it. When serviceman arrived few days later i was not able to crank the engine.. it was stalled.. Battery was good, guy was not able to move it forward only backward to some degree - something was blocking valves.. Having in mind oil leaks in radiator, Guy suggested to remove engine head and check for blown gasket. That was a mistake. When we finally removed the head (without removing front cover and even fan assembly..) , seal was looking pristine. Even too good for such an old engine.. and since mixture of oil and cooland flooded cylinders i was thinking that i actually found a problem but it might be due to crack in the cylinder head... After bringing head to workshop which tried to extort around 500$ for checking for leaks without guarantee with head delivered cleaned and prepared... Idecided that there must be something other that i can try, so I went back to inspection. To my supprise head was fine, no cracks, no problems with sealing or valve leaks. And after some thought i realized that in few days before service guy arrived there was some substantial rainstorm.. And exhaust pipe of this machine was replaced with car silencer with missing top cap... yeah - water in exhaust valves.. Lesson learned, so I set up small white marketplace tent to shield it from rain,and started to put head back, applied new gasket.. and at that moment I realized there was some seal on the side of the head.. to water pump. Probably the more experienced of you will start smiling right now. It looked like overgrinded quest from badly written rpg game... To remove pump, one need to remove radiator, To remove radiator you need to remove radiator heat exchanger lines.. (at this point i realized that i was searching for leak in wrong place...) to do that you need to remove hydraulic scoop hoses, and the hydraulic pump, and then rem,ove al the dirt and grease on engine cover... And then i realized that it was all one big chunk of metal.. - 188D first gen. removed hydraulic pump (branded cessna ? aircraft hydraulic pump with some adapter?) removed hoses, radiator that happened to look like swiss cheese, fan assembly, then fuel pump cover, then gears.. with pump shaft ... so fuel started to flow into engine.... (yeah i was able to change oil already.. ) and after a lot of unscrewing i found out that i need to remove pulley. Searched for the way to do it.. and found out that i need to unscrew it from inside using half inch slot.. After a day of cursed effort I started to check if pulley can actually be removed through space between frame and engine shaft.. And it was not possible.. One need to actualy remove engine from the frame... There is a meme that nicelly describes how I felt that day... Anyhow, I gave up, cleaned everything up, started to put everything back together, replaced all seals with newly crafted ones (I bought big sheet of sealant to carve out new ones) and decided tha ti will slide new coolant pump seal somehow while inserting head. Ordered new gasket, and called a friend to assist with seconf pair of hands. After some struggle and few broken seals we were able to do it. I soldered new pipe onto radiator to cool transmission oil, soldered up radiarot (mostly) , replaced filters and oils and finally after almost two months since it was last running engine was ready to test. Next day I decided to test it, forgetting that i left my fuel tank valve open and most of diesel went into engine oil... The best part was that I Haven't mounted neither intake mainfold nor valver cover to be able to adjust spacing after few revolutions.. The next thing was somewhat scarry and funny - tent turned black with smoke, i was blinded by black oil/diesel mixture sprinkling from cam rods channels, and engine was slowly revving up chuckling on too much "fuel" flowing through intake valve holes. I actually regret not filming it.. Finally after few seconds of panic i was able to put some glowes and cleaning fabric into intake valves and choke engine enough to stop it. After swaping the oil, and some more cleaning (it is still somewhat dirty ) engine nicelly started and i was ready to do some testing. My friend came along to show me few tricks he learned while he was working as excavator operator, so learning was quite smooth. And since then i rebuild broken power steering cylinder (i put 18mm rod instead of inch-based ones that are virtually unavailable in EU) and i learned how to fix power hydraulics. I have not yet opened gearboxes or other parts except engine, just replaced filters and oils. Now i'm facing issues with shuttle transmision (forward/reverse) kind of being weakewr and weaker and slipping a lot.. Any ideas ?
Here are some more pictures I don't even know what kind of Case backhoe it is.. Hybrid of some kind? It had french plates.. partly.
well it does look a little like a 580 ck under all that cab
@petepilot - that was my impression. I'll make few more photos today to show back of it, and current looks. I replaced original air filter with Mitsubishi sigma one to somewhat seal engine cover and provide better air filtration. I replaced almost all wiring and installed new gauges, (some of them are still in transit) so i finally have idea what is going on with engine temperatures and pressures. Yesterday one of pressure lines popped so i replaced remaining old hosses with new ones. (pretty cheap to replace here - around 25$ - just giving old ones as example and they redo new ones on the spot) now my biggest questionmark is transmission. It sounds while driving like there was weared / broken bearing somewhere or really worn teeth. And itt does not seem to drive well.
Few more photos from today Changed hydraulic oil and filter (filter changed second time) . gauges when running on idle - i think it is good and this is video made just after engine suprise
If u took the inj. pump drive shaft out thru the front cover w the gear attached, how did u get it back in without rolling the drive shaft seal.?? U better check the dip stick again.. If u get me the # off the inj, pump tag, I’ll tell u whatcha got.. BTW... did u happen to stick your fingers into the front of the inj pump while the drive shaft was out.?? Did u feel any grooves.?? If YES, u had better keep an eye out for fuel in the oil..
I had to work it out after watchiung few videos on youtube, but i did it slowly. First time i thought it is going too hard and indeed it started to deform seal, but later i figured out if i wobble it a bit and then just turn around so that it has better way inside it went ok. It took me some time though. I'll make pictures of the injector pump tommorow.
here it is btw- where to check if oil level is ok? I put there around 15l of UTTO oil, and it works ok, oil is clean. it sounds like it was sucking air - kind of shhhh sound comning from shuttle drive while driving anbd it is sluggish even after warmup.
My pump spec sheet says:: Engine- G188D Application:: 530c & 580 tractor
This much i knew already is there any manual on how to check proper level on shuttle transmission? - on idle - stopped, or engine off?
Engine off.
i put there 14l utto and 1l maxlife ATF from valvoline. Works ok - for 580B.
A 2000 Case backhoe for 5K should have been a red flag. Cessna made hydraulics for equipment. Hope it doesn't cost a fortune to fix everything.
A very late welcome, sorry you're having such a bad experience. If anyone can get you straightened out, its these guys. Good luck moving forward.
So it seems i was able to make it work after all - and after initial set of earth works done I'm selling it to some more fortunate owner for $6k It seems that I'm going to buy 580 K or 580 G for $9k which seems much more modern and more capable especially due to 4x4 drive and far better overal shape. Thank you all for all the help!
I don't think the machine is anywhere close to a 2000 model. I think the cab is some kind of aftermarket deal or homemade. The 2 seats and offset backhoe controls is very interesting.
Bajtec, I give you a double thumbs up for sticking with it and getting it to work after going through that hell. And still having a positive outlook after all that. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a serial number off the next one before you seal the deal. Post it on a new thread in the backhoe section. More than one of the experts on here will be able to tell you the year and what the pro's and con's are for the machine. Good luck. I really like your attitude!