Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 966C – My first ride in heavy machinery

Lawrence Coomber · 2020-09-24 04:13

Lawrence, a new member [71 year old ex Navy Electrical Engineer] now involved in research and development in small scale hydro energy technology solutions. I picked up a 966C Loader yesterday and floated it to a small plot of land (10 hectares) in Western Queensland alongside the Condamine River. I need it to do some earthworks over the next 6 months and construct a small reservoir (about 5 ML capacity) at 10 M head, for an experimental pumped hydro system design (hardware + software) that I have developed over the last 5 years. I am optimistic that the 966C will see the job out without any issues; but if I am wrong on that one, I am privileged to have hooked up with so many experienced users. I drove it for the first time yesterday and expected it to be a bit of a handful seeing that I have never driven anything over 2 tonnes during my life (excepting a Destroyer in my Navy days 65-85) but it was as smooth as duck-**** (to coin an Australian saying). So far - so good. Lawrence Coomber (Queensland Australia)

Replies9
  1. #1DB22020-09-24 04:57

    Welcome Lawrence. You picked one of the best machines ever. How about some pictures? Cheers !

  2. #2mg23612020-09-24 05:11

    Welcome to HEF Lawrence !

  3. #3DMiller2020-09-24 06:39

    Welcome. These were fairly New machines as I started in mechanic work, were very dependable had few short comings and I hope you had a tech overlook inspect that machine before purchase. That said if inspected well will deliver quite useful service for you, it will be a learning experience..

  4. #4Queenslander2020-09-24 18:07

    Welcome Lawrence, Where on the Condamine are you? Iam near Chinchilla, an area fast becoming the energy capital of the country. Less than twenty years ago all we had here were livestock, grain and watermelons.

  5. #5DMiller2020-09-24 18:12

    Queenslander, appears they found a productive gas field there. Loads of Combustion turbine plants close by. Supplying Brisbane?

  6. #6Queenslander2020-09-24 19:20

    Unfortunately, most of the gas is exported... I believe we are the worlds leading exporter liquified natural gas. We do have several gas fired power stations as well as the state’s newest coal fired plant and construction about to start on the nation’s largest solar power station.

  7. #7kshansen2020-09-24 19:58

    I know you have not asked any questions on the 966C but just for kicks how about posting a S/N. Do you have any manuals on it? Like DMiller said good old machine I too spent many day working on those and would love to have one if I had the need for something of that size.

  8. #8funwithfuel2020-10-17 10:06

    Welcome, you got a lot going on. Congratulations on finding something to stay busy with

  9. #9skyking12020-12-06 22:52

    Welcome and that's a nice loader. Since you mention zero experience, I'll say the number 1 thing is to endeavor to never spin a tire. It gets pricey very quickly.