Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Connecting Android smartphone to Semi…

LandonRobinson · 2024-09-01 20:54

Hi, what I am trying to do is connect my Android smartphone to our "2019 Kenworth W900" through the green J1939 data port under the dash just inside the door, but so far it has not worked, here is what I have tried... I have a "Blue-Driver" OBD-II wireless bluetooth adaper that when I plug it into my 2002 Chevy S10 it connects on the first try and does everything that I expect it to, so I know that it works. It has also been recently updated to the latest operating system version. I have both "Type1" (black) and "Type2" (green) J1939 to OBD-II cables, using my Blue-Driver on both of these I plugged it into our other truck (2007 Kenworth T800) and all that it will do is with the ignition on is the blue light on the Blue-Driver comes on for about three seconds and then the app displays "Connecting... (blue light flashes) Connecting... (red light flashes) Connecting... (no light flashes)" and then it gives up, then I tried my hard-wired OBD-II code reader and it refused to connect either. So.. with the Type2 (green) connector I tried this again on our 2019 W900 and it did exactly the same thing and wouldn't connect. So with that... I was wondering if anyone was able to successfully connect an Android smartphone to a green J1939 data port on a truck and access the network and if you did what connector/adapter did you use, and what app were you using on your phone?

Replies5
  1. #1cfherrman2024-09-03 21:03

    Your adapter is not giving signal and/or power to your Bluetooth adapter, I've never even heard of doing that, I imagine if it works you won't have the right pids to make it work either.

  2. #2ozarkag2024-09-03 21:57

    It is my understanding that HD truck j1939 is a totally different language than OBD2 . An automotive reader simply won't work. You will need a truck diagnostic program such a J Pro , Jaltest or similar.

  3. #3Coaldust2024-09-03 23:25

    I’m going to say that can’t be done without a com adapter of some sort and a suitable ap on your phone. But, someone will along shortly to post a YouTube video showing how it was done by a 12 year old in India with his Pitaa‘s 5 ton Tata.

  4. #4LandonRobinson2024-09-04 10:06

    Thanks for the replies everyone, both of the Type1 and Type2 J1939 to OBD-II adapter cables came from two completely different sellers so I wouldn't think that they would both be defective but long story short I am going to check the signal path through these and see if they were wired up correctly or if I was sold a piece of junk and go from there. I have read that the Linux operating system has a utility in it called "Can-Utils" that works with Linux's SocketCan subsystem for communicating with a J1939 network and I do have a laptop running Linux-Mint so this another possibility but how to make it work is another thing. The underlying computer code to make this work came from the Bosch Company.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-09-04 10:52

    Can Utilis is a popular tool for sniffing the CAN. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, now.