Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pad under floor mat

RalphBSz · 2024-09-03 14:45

We (household!) own a 20-year old International 4300 that is set up as a digger-derrick: A bucket truck that can also set poles, auger holes, and lift heavy things. We're just doing our summer maintenance and cleanup, and have everything out of the cab (had to do some transmission work from above). Since this machine had been used for heavy outdoor work (mostly setting power poles!), there was a lot of dirt underneath the floor mat, and everywhere else. The big rubber floor mat is in decent shape, but it had some paper layer and thin foam under it, which didn't survive. First question: I'm wondering whether we should put a pad underneath the floor mat, both to give it a longer lease on life, and to dampen noise and make the cab more comfortable. I was just going to look for a remnant of thin carpet pad (about 1/4") and glue it down with some carpet tape. Second question: Are floor mats in trucks typically glued down? This one was pretty stuck, but I suspect it wasn't actually glue, but perhaps some leaked undercoat from the transmission access hatch.

Replies6
  1. #1mekanik2024-09-03 14:58

    What make of truck? The mats are not usually glued down but there could be exceptions. The underlay comes with the floor mat and they are pricey at least here in Canada. The flooring stores here have a heavy felt underlay that I have used and it seems to stand up pretty good.

  2. #2RalphBSz2024-09-03 15:18

    The truck is a 2005 International model 4300, with manual transmission. Can't find the underlay as a separate spare part, and a new mat is $600 + shipping, which is why I'm interested in some cheaper and better solution.

  3. #3mekanik2024-09-03 15:37

    The floor if flat in the 4300 so the felt underlay should work.

  4. #4RalphBSz2024-09-03 16:07

    Thanks, will try it.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-09-03 16:38

    There is a large assortment of jute type automotive underlay and closed cell foam on the Amazon, for cheap. I kinda like the closed cell foam because it doesn’t hold moisture like Jute

  6. #6cfherrman2024-09-03 21:00

    Look at killmat squares or similar, supposed to be cheap. If it's a low use truck you can go to harbor freight and look at the foam products there and custom it