Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Considering a 943 or 953….

cdre ยท 2010-05-21 03:10

I'm thinking of picking up a 943 or a 953 with 4:1 and a ripper for use on my farm in Belize. I'd likely look to rent it out with the expectation of working it 2 or 3 days out of the week. Jobs would mostly consist of clearing/leveling of relatively flat land with moderate growth, spreading clay/sand, digging ponds, and building light roads. Rarely would work be done on rough terrain, so I am considering an LGP model so I can get more work out of it during the rainy season. Regarding the two tractors, I know the 953 is an all around larger and more powerful machine, but the 943 might be just the right size for the kind of jobs I think I would be doing for myself and others. Are parts for the 943 particularly hard to find, or are they similar in availability to 953s? Also, I'd be looking to get a dump truck and trailer to couple with the tractor, but don't really need a truck with a huge bed, just need the capacity to safely tow a 16 ton tractor with appropriate trailer. Given the relatively low usage the truck will see, I'm not looking for anything built before 2000. Trying to save some costs. Any suggestions on a truck that would be appropriate for the task?

Replies17
  1. #1Stick Pro2010-05-21 21:07

    We have a 943 and have not ever had a problem getting any parts for our 43 from cat. Good luck with your new machine when u get it would like to see some pics.

  2. #2cdre2010-05-22 15:57

    Thanks. Kind of leaning toward a 953 based on similar pricing between the two models... That said, I'd like to avoid later models that may require dealer computers to diagnose. Being in Belize, there is limited support for that kind of diagnosis while we have big-wrench turners galore. Any suggestions on the year range I should primarily look at for a 953 with minimal computer complication?

  3. #3hvy 1ton2010-05-23 15:38

    Definitely look at the B series for ease of maintenance. The tilting cab is a huge plus and has mostly mechanical systems.

  4. #4Matthew2010-06-27 17:32

    I am perfectly happy with my 953. As far as stumps though, a 953 wont do much. so keep that in mind. Keep in mind your fuel usage. I use about 40 gallons a day in mine.

  5. #5powerjoke2010-06-27 19:34

    buy the newest thing u can afford, yeah as far as computers go a "A" is simpler but....a steam shovel didnt even have a diesel motor lol. there is nothing wrong with a round back "C" but IMHO stay away from the 943's they werent that much lighter but had less HP and less track on the ground etc. we have gotten rid of all the 953's in-leu of 963C's and havent looked back since, yeah they got computers on them but with the proper service manual ALL codes are retreivable WITHOUT a laptop or external comp. Pj

  6. #6powerjoke2010-06-27 19:37

    I forgot to add (i know i will get flamed for this but.....)Ditch the 4-n-1 bucket idea....it just dosent work for us in our operation, added weight, lowered bucket capacity, added maintenece, and another set of hyd lines to get jerked off the machine. Pj

  7. #7stumpjumper832010-06-27 20:48

    If you have mainly gentle terain, read no solid rock. I think I'd remove the rippers. And if its wet enough for you to want lgp pads, I'd be wanting a winch on the tail. With my 450c deere, I can use the bucket teeth to terrorize any rock I want, sandstone boulders to shale beds. Rippers would be an extra. I did however add a winch to mine and it has come in handy several times. Though I can't say as I have seen a winch on a '53 As for the 4n1... I dunno my ex boss loved the one on his case backhoes. I thought it got in the way alot. The bucket floor was too thick and it made digging into a pile harder. When I clear with my loader, I just stuff the stumps into my bucket. They may be alot nicer for grading though.

  8. #8Matthew2010-07-01 11:29

    I wish my '53 had a winch....

  9. #9gpap1232010-07-01 16:12

    I think a 943 would be ok for your job but personally i would prefer a 953!!! First, you should compare the fuel consuption of the two machines, maybe someone here can help with the consuption. My 955 needs about 8-10 litres per hour in normal conditions. good luck!

  10. #10Komatsu 1502010-07-02 09:28

    The most we've put through a 943 is 30 gallons in a very hard long day. That's pretty close to your 10 liters per hour. Our 955L would easily use double that. This is while digging basements in hard soil for 10 hours plus.

  11. #11cdre2010-07-03 04:45

    All great info. I especially like the idea of putting a winch on the thing. Assuming I pick up a 953 without the ripper, I think a winch would be the way to go. I'm leaning in the direction of a pin on rake for clearing and I don't think the ripper would help much anyway.

  12. #12cdre2010-07-03 04:47

    Also, anyone know what the max width is of a 953? I'd assume the bucket is slightly wider than the tracks which are supposedly 7'2". I want to see if I can fit one in a 20' container once the canopy is removed...

  13. #13farmboy5552010-07-03 09:15

    I agree NO 4 in 1 bucket. Had one, it was handy on a few things. It takes away from your breaking force when digging. Just put a good set of shanks & teeth on a regular bucket. It will make a better operator out of you, you'll soon learn how to pick things up without the 4n1

  14. #14Cat Wrench2010-07-03 12:52

    4 in 1 buckets are either love or hate, no in between it seems. Most operators I know hate them. I have fixed a lot of sprung 963 4 in 1 buckets. I wouldn't have one unless the tasks I had to do demanded it.

  15. #15ih1002010-07-03 16:03

    In the UK most drotts (our generic for tracked loaders) are fitted with 4 in 1's. I've spent a lot of time on drotts since 1977, with GP buckets sometimes, but mainly 4 in 1's, and the advantages of the 4 in 1 far outweigh the GP. They only spring when they're misused, and mostly that is when the clam is used to pry rocks, stumps etc and one side is loaded. There's a difference in breakout force, but it's not as great as some guys on here seem to be seeing. The biggest dis of a 4 in 1 is the extra weight, but if you're running a ripper it's largely offset. If you do your prying with the clam closed and keep the rams greased, the buckets are strong enough, but if you do a lot of that work you don't want a 4 in 1 anyway. If you're doing finish work, give me a 4 in 1 over a dozer any time.

  16. #16Komatsu 1502010-07-04 16:24

    We always wanted one (a four in one) and always ended up not doing it. The sticking point was always the lower bucket capacity. Usually was 1/4 yard smaller in the size machine we were looking at.Most of our work was digging and loading and that adds up to a lot of extra buckets by the end of the day.

  17. #17cdre2010-07-05 07:16

    Most of my work will be land clearing and finish work, which is why I'm leaning heavily toward the 4:1.