Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fixing roller frames on a 963 Cat Loader.

Cat Wrench ยท 2010-05-21 00:25

If you have ever had trouble with the front guides on a 963 where they bolt up to the roller frames here is how I fix them. When they come from the factory the roller frames have only 3 bolts (3/4 size) on each one. The guides however have 6 holes to accommodate the adjustment for the idler as you need to move it to the forward position as the rails wear and need more adjustment. Often what I find is that someone has welded them to the frame as a fix. Obviously this is a temporary fix because it limits your adjustment. I drill out the stripped threads in the roller frame, weld them up, re-drill, tap and add 6 more holes per side which give you a total of nine holes in the frame which means in either position (forward or back) with the idler adjustment you have double the amount (6 instead of 3) of bolts holding it in place. I hope you can understand from my pictures; From the factory there are only 3 bolts not 6 like in the following picture;

Replies2
  1. #1qball2010-05-21 08:07

    man, that seems like a ton of work. is that for a customers loader?

  2. #2Cat Wrench2010-05-21 08:34

    Yes it is for a customers loader. I can tap with my mag drill which makes it much faster especially when you have good lawson taps. The drill and tap process takes about 15 minutes per hole once you are set up.