As many of you know, I have a Cat 248. It's a 2000 model year and currently has just under 1900 hours on it. I use it as back up and in severe conditions a primary snow removal machine. I bought it before 2 speed units were available and driving it around during a storm between jobs is a drawn out affair. I'm considering trading it for a 2 speed model which would essentially halve the drive time. I'd like to stick with Caterpillar brand but I don't recall when 2 speeds became available and on what models. Requirements would be high flow, minimum lift rating of 2000 lbs and heated enclosed cab. What years/models should I be looking at? Thanks!
If your only reason for trading is the two speed why not make it one. I put 255/70/22.5 tires on my 226 and its scary fast, way better traction for $1,300. Its a ag wheel with the 8 x 6 bolt pattern. Or a plasma table could cut out centers and you weld em in. Only thing is that your higher up so your cutting angle is steeper unless you move your bucket mount plate.
I believe 2-speed started with the C-Series machines, as it is electronically shifted. I have a '08 256C with it, but I believe the C's came out a year or so earlier. The 2-speed is definitely worth it. Travel is much quicker without losing the low speed power. Mine also has aux weights so lifting is as good as the longer frame machines.
I never considered that DoyleX. Can you post some pics of that when you have a chance? I'll have to weigh that option against a trade. PDG X, does your machine have high flow?
Yes. HF, AMICS, 2-Spd, RC, Hydr Coupler - loaded. Great, powerful machine.
If I'm reading Ritchie Specs right the 248B is a 2 speed model? Can anyone tell me if this was standard or an option?
You are correct. There were some B's with the 2-speed option : http://www.holtcat.com/pdf/digit/236B,246B & 248B Skid Steer Loader.pdf