I currently have a 2001 T200 high flow with 2900 hours it runs good and really haven't had any issues other then it could use some paint touch up. Recently my family bought another piece of land and I plan on building a new shop and house out there. I am wanting to upgrade machines to something that is a little newer and easier for my dad (6' 300 lb's ) to get in and out of. It won't get ran everyday but want something to be able to using a brush cutter attachment and do some site work here and there. Would I be better off sticking with the T200 or going to the 287B or another machine I am not thinking about
From a maintenance standpoint I would stay away from any Cat MTL (machines ending in 7). If you want to upgrade I would make it more of an upgrade and that swap would not make sense to me. CAT's ingress and egress sucks, door doesn't open wide enough, step in is awkward and seating position for me is uncomfortable and I am 6.0' and 230. Not sure what your willing to spend to upgrade, your BC is probably worth 12-15K. I found that era of BC machines to be loud and underpowered. A BC 650 would be an actual upgrade in performance and comfort. The CASE TR310 has the widest opening door and lowest step into the machine and it doesn't have a DPF or SCR. All comes back to what you want to spend to upgrade.
I'm partial to the Kubota CTL machines. We has an SVL75 & an SVL75-2. In addition, we have 2 Takeuchi TL150 machines. The Takeuchis have been good, but the Kubotas have been even better. Number one favorite feature is the self storing windshield (overhead, like an excavator). 2ndly, I know my Takeuchis inside out, but spend very little time keeping the Kubotas running. Dirt infiltration of the HVAC box is the only downside to my Kubotas. And, you can keep your swinging entry door machines, as, no matter what, the damned thing is in the way, whether running wheel saws, or connecting hoses, or working on it.
On my 287b I trimmed one of the hinge pins about 1" shorter than the other. I can remove and install my door in about 5 seconds. It is only in the way if I leave it in the way.
Yup, and, we've lost or crushed the bypass jumper several times, damaged the wiper arm and/ or motor shaft several times, damaged the door seal, lost the clip for the gas shock, broken the end of the gas shock, and even broken the glass, all in the name of removing and storing the door, which comes off in 15 seconds. No thanks. Ironically, I find the visibility tremendously better in my Kubotas than in any of the Cat CTLs that I've been in.
Maybe that is why mine is so easy: no gas strut, no wiper, permanently jumped wires, no door seal, and have 1" polycarbonate instead of glass (yes, it is very heavy).
I don't think there is a machine with less visibility than a CAT. The camera if you have it helps, but depending on sun direction, dust, snow cant always depend on that. I don't see why CAT cant fix the door and make getting in and out easier. Wouldn't seem to be a big issue to resolve. Why should anyone have to take the door off? You buy a cabbed unit to have a functional cab.
And, my only swing door (to go with above) is on a 248B Cat. I've had 863G and 864H Bobcats. Doors didn't last for **** there, either.
Late to chime in. But if you look at this site alone. It seems cat issues seem to be the most common. Just food for thought.
Takeuchi (or Gehl /Mustang rebrands)
You guys have all been on here longer than me. And no doubt run more equipment than I do. But to me it highlights a brand when 7 of the 20 post displayed are cat issues. Followed by 3 tak/etc. Just interesting statistically.
I'm sorry, I was making a positive recommendation
Thanks everyone for the insight. I am still going back and forth on what I'm looking for. Price wise I want to be around 30K a local contractor farmer has a C238 with 1400 hours on it but I need to do some more checking on how the newer New hollands are holding up I know the C190 C185 had a lot of track issues.
Also Has anyone ran a Komatsu CK35 or CK30 we have a local dealer here and they have a nice machine with 2000 hours with new tracks.
My opinion for what it is worth. There were many incremental updates to the Alpha/200 series CNH machine. I had a 2012 TR320 and had handle issues, and some other problems. I traded in on a 2017 TR340 and it has been virtually problem free. The initial machines had wiring harness issues (no small problem as you had to pull the engine), they updated the harness and fixed most of the issues that plagued the first couple years. As for the tracks I replaced a roller at 1000 hours, tracks at 1200 hours and front idler at the same time as tracks on the TR320. I had a 2014 SV300 and I traded in on a SV340. The 2014 was nearly flawless to 1800 hours. The AC lines were replaced once under warranty. The SV340 has been excellent reliability as well 500 hours now and no problems. So if the NH is not a 2011-2013 I would be interested, if it did fall in those years, I would find out what has been done to it and make a decision (updated harness). As for the Komatsu, they stopped production on that machine years ago. The longer it goes, the harder it will be to find parts, and find someone that knows how to work on them, resale will only get worse. Personally I would pass on that.
Reflecting the Cat market share for that type of machine maybe..? With a larger machine population it stands to reason that problems will come up more often.
That does make sense as well. Are cat sales more than bobcat?
Sorry I don't have access to that information, but the market for these machines worldwide is supposed to be worth about $5 billion per year to the manufacturers.
bobcat is the market leader.
Hell will freeze over before I ever put another Bobcat SSL or CTL in service here. 3 863G and 2 864H machines, sent to auction in May of '03.....5th happiest day of my life (or was it the 4th?).
I was not saying that BC was the best machine out there, only that they sell the most. Personally, I have never owned one and don't ever see that changing, Ford sells more pickups than any other OEM and I don't buy those either. Owning an 864 was a very costly period of your business life I would imagine.
That would be true in some circumstances, but when your discussing topics like visibility, egress into the machine, or the durability of an MTL track system (this could be subjective, but any honest CAT salesman would likely agree they are "sensitive" to the operating environment), topics like that are issues independent of the number sold. Whether there were 1000 sold or 100,000 the issues are not based on sheer numbers of machines out there and thus increasing the likelihood of problems surfacing, but physical attributes of the machine that are present in each and every one one from the moment they come off the assembly line, in this case negative ones.
First of all welcome to the Forums CollinMaune ! Well my divorce is final from Bobcat as I just replaced my last T250 with a Cat 279D, the second one I've purchased in the last couple of years. Our marriage was a long one starting back in the late '80's with an 843 Perkins powered skid up to the last T250. 853, 863, T190, T250 (2) and a S250. My doctor said that in his best estimation, those machines and our dealer are responsible for at least 1.5 years removed from my lifespan... At a loss here on the Cat ingress/egress issues with our 279's, one is a '16 and one '19. The cab is on the small side but not uncomfortable for my 6-1, 240 frame. My guys like them as well. I do not have any experience with the older models. As others have stated stay as far away from the MTL's and ASV style undercarriage as possible.
is that just in the US or worldwide..? Based on what I’ve seen I could believe the first, not sure about the second though.
It might depend on what your used to, I have been to several different customer clinics with two different OEM's and the CAT scored low in both clinics in ingress and egress, even from CAT owners. I had a 272D2 on an RPO two years ago. I found the access and seating position to be subpar for what I would expect CAT to come to market with, it was uncomfortable for me to spend more than a couple hours in it. That is me and certainly not everyone, of my five guys, one wanted to keep the CAT. I turned the CAT back in even though the CAT was 2K plus my rental costs cheaper than the machine I bought. Parts of the CAT are really good, the user interface is among the best in class in my opinion. NA is the largest market for SSL/CTLs. I am "almost" positive that BC holds the title overseas as well. I will ask around and confirm if that is correct.
According to a 2018 study the Asia-Pacific market was not only the largest in the world in terms of world market share but also had higher growth rates than any other market.
So I have been going back and forth and went to the local Bobcat dealer the other day to get some stuff for the T200 a few decals and some touch up paint to get ready to sell. The Salesman that I know well pulled me aside and showed me a 05 T300 with 2200 hours with new tracks, rebuilt final drives and a rebuilt hydraulic pump. He says it can be had for under 20000. It is a joystick hi flow machine. Now I am just going back and forth if it that much of an upgrade from my T200 or should I wait for something else.
Sounds like it had a hard life to need pump work and final drives done with only 2200 hours
I've got 8k hour TL150 machines still riding original finals and pumps (save for when the pilot pump flange fractured on each one). I'd definitely not want that Bobcat (but, in reality, no Bobcat is worthy of my purchase). But, then again, I'd never buy a Ford or a JCB, either.
A T300 with new drives and new pumps at 2200 hours drives the point home on some of the other threads of homeowners and some contractors wanting to buy a higher houred track machine. Add up what those repairs cost, plus the cost of the machine initially and that was an expensive 2200 hours of ownership and the prior owner even after all those repairs, traded it off. It likely is not done bleeding it's owner. I would wait for a better machine. The economy being strong in most places, I doubt you will "steal" the machine your looking for but if your going to pay, at least get a machine worth paying for. I would check Ironplanet.com and some of the other internet auction sites, auctions are always a gamble but the better ones have at inspections completed and your not buying totally blind. You can also get an idea of the machines are brining.
KSSS Thanks for the info it seems like I have my T200 pretty much sold I have a at least 2 people in line to buy it. That being said I was able to find a nicer 06 model GehlCTL80 with 2200 hours. THe machine has new tracks, roller and sprockets. it is a cabbed machine but doesn't have the front glass. I am tihnking I can get this machine for around 21-22K. What are some major areas on the TAK/ Gehl machines that cause concern?
I have had a number Taki mini excavators but never their CTLs. Just looking at what I see on here, not including the newest models, the biggest issues seem to be electrical. other than checking for ragged out wiring harnesses, pretty hard to look into that. They are strong performing machines, not overly comfortable but they are, well built machines. Taki parts are expensive. You could certainly do worse.
I almost bought a tak. The electrical as stated does come to play. I did however find it comfortable. And I really liked the seat position. Even if it wasn't, it felt much higher up. The only thing I did not care for were the touchy iso controls.
All Taki's in my experience have a certain feel to them that takes a bit to get used to. I have demoed Taki CTL's and they and the excavators have a similar "touchy" feel. Once you spend time with it, you not only get used to it but come to appreciate it. I think that the BC mini ex's have a similar touchy feel. I find the Taki CTL's at least the older ones, loud. That big cab seemed to have like a barrel effect. I think the newer models have more insulation, and they have worked on the track system to quiet them down.