I'm still on the hunt for a backhoe. Decided against the Massey (in my last post). Considering an 1989 JD 410 (410C I think?) Turbo, 4x4, nice cab. Guy says it runs great, plenty strong, but the rear axle came out and ripped a hole in the tire. What would I be getting myself into with this repair? Anyone know what would have failed to let the axle slide out like that? I'm hoping to go look at it this afternoon and get some more info on it. Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what might have failed. Thanks guys. This forum is great.
Need pictures of that. Joe H
Had a look at it yesterday. First red flag was that both times I asked him about the hours he changed the subject. It shows 1871 hours. I doubt that on a 30 year old machine, and it didn't look like it only had that many hours, unless he's really beat it. I don't know whether the meter has been reset, or if it hit 9,999 and went back to zero, so it actually has 11,871 hours. Don't know?? Battery was low when he tried to start it, so he used ether to get it started. Yeah, I know you can, but I don't like doing that on a diesel and it made me wonder how often he'd done it before. On the model, he told me it was an 88 or 89, and a 410. Well, here's a pic of the identification tag. Sure looks like 310D if I understand what I'm reading. I asked him and he strongly assured me that it was a 410. I couldn't find 410 on the machine anywhere. ?? About the axle problem, he had pulled everything apart and had parts scattered all over his shop, house, yard, and cab of the machine, so I wasn't able to get pictures of everything. But here's pictures of the housing, planetary, and axle. The axle looks fine but it will need a new planetary. The housing is rounded out, but I think the bearing race is OK, so that's probably all that matters? At any rate, I'm not sure on this one. My whole reason for getting a backhoe is to save some money over renting a machine. I'll use it for farm projects for a couple years and then sell it when I'm done. With the hours on it, resale might be an issue. I'll have to replace both rear tires (one is slashed, the other is bald.) Then axle parts. I think I'd be hard pressed to keep parts and tires under $3000. And that's just what I know is wrong with it. He said he'd take 6000. Add everything up and I don't think I'd call it a great deal. Not bad if I were planning to keep it long term, but not for a quick use and resell. Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions.
Get back in your vehicle and leave. Joe H
Thanks Joe. That's exactly what I did I would be curious, just for sake of learning, if anyone knows what might have failed to let the axle come out like that? I think there's a center bolt, maybe that loosened up? Or a snap ring failed?
It appears to be an outer bearing failure, an someone kept on driving the tractor until a lot of parts were damaged. It is not unusual for that to happen. I have seen ag tractors with that kind of damage. Ether shouldn't cause a battery(s) to be low on charge. Unless it locked the engine.