Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 510 backhoe

510 backhoe · 2022-08-16 04:33

Issue with my backhoe. I have early 80’s 510 , 500c. I don’t have any hydraulics. I opened the transmission cover and noticed that the gears were not moving while the machine was running. I moved the shifter from park to neutral to the lower gears. Still no movement with the gears but I did see the gear shifter working. I already have the engage lever forward. A friend and I wired the machine to turn over the engine and injector pump. Did we skip something that needs power to the transmission to get the oil to flow? Thanks for your help.

Replies13
  1. #1mg23612022-08-16 05:10

    Welcome to HEF 510 ! Clutch adjustment?

  2. #2510 backhoe2022-08-16 06:22

    Do you mean do clutch adjustment? Would this be an easy job?

  3. #3Delmer2022-08-16 07:39

    A little history might help. Have you owned this since new and the hydraulics just failed yesterday? or did you buy it in pieces and just got it back together and everything works but the hydraulics? I thought a 510 and 500 were different models? how about a picture of the machine and serial number?

  4. #4510 backhoe2022-08-16 14:43

    Got it because it just needed an oil cooler and radiator. Turned out it needed more than that. On the doors it says 510. But on the stamped plate on the frame it says 500-C. I had to replace the battery cables because they were corroded. The engine was stuck but I added some Marvel mystery oil and was able to free it up. I then jumped it from the starter to get it to turn over and start. It wouldn’t stay running. After trouble shooting I replaced the fuel filter, fuel line and injectors. It would not start from the key. A friend of mine helped me wire the starter and fuel Pump to the key. We added some hydraulic oil to the reservoir but nothing worked. We noticed that oil was not getting to the pump. We added hydraulic oil to the oil cooler and one of the stabilizers went down about a foot. I removed the transmission cover and started the machine. None of the gears were moving. I shifted from park to neutral into first gear and second gear. I seen the shifter working from park to first gear. I also moved the disengage lever back and forth. There were no gears moving in the transmission. I’m hoping I just forgot to power something.

  5. #5mg23612022-08-17 04:52

    There is a clutch disconnect lever on the left side. If it has been disengaged, it will prevent the transmission from working. It is used for starting in very cold weather. Make sure that lever has not been pulled.

  6. #6510 backhoe2022-08-17 10:55

    I move it back and forth still no movement.

  7. #7mg23612022-08-17 11:59

    Does it feel like it is doing anything?

  8. #8510 backhoe2022-08-17 12:28

    Nothing at all.

  9. #9mg23612022-08-18 04:30

    Makes me wonder if the clutch had been disengaged when the internal linkage was rusty, seizing it in the disengaged position.

  10. #10510 backhoe2022-08-18 14:49

    How would I check that?

  11. #11mg23612022-08-19 04:45

    It has been so long since I have seen a 510, I don't remember the particulars of the layout. Since your transmission is not spinning, either your engine clutch is disengaged or maybe the hydraulic clutch is misadjusted. If you are serious about trying to perform your own repairs then you need to acquire the Tech Manual TM1039.

  12. #12510 backhoe2022-08-19 10:18

    Update. The disengagement lever was stuck or wasn’t going all the way forward. I have hydraulics working now but I have a leak somewhere. That will be easy to find once I’m ready to get dirty. Thank you all for your help and insight.

  13. #13granchihuahua2024-06-22 17:36

    Hi, i'm having the same problem, can you tell me more on how you were able to fix the transmission disconnect lever once it is stuck? I wish i had not touched the lever in the first place who know how many decades ago it was used last time.