Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Considering Volvo ECR38 : any issues to beware of?

David Boreham ยท 2019-03-30 15:06

I've been looking for a decent used 3.5t excavator to be used for various projects on my property for a while now. Finally one has come up for sale locally: a 2011 Volvo ECR38 with 1000 hrs. Wondering if there are any known issues with these machines, anything in particular to look out for? The engine seems to be made by Yanmar. Thanks.

Replies17
  1. #1David Boreham2019-03-31 13:34

    Well...nobody said anything so I made an offer on the machine. Looks like I get to become a legit member of this forum now

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-03-31 14:15

    Didn't see the post till just now. ECR35 & 38 are great little machines. Stay on top of cleanliness and maintenance, you'll do fine. Are you looking at one with a dozer blade as well or plain excavator. I really like the option to swing the boom like a backhoe vs the whole house. Got any pics to share? Good luck on yer offer, hope it goes well for you.

  3. #3David Boreham2019-03-31 14:21

    Thanks. This unit has the typical up/down blade (not angled). It also has a swing boom and a TAG Wain-Roy style manual quick coupler, but no thumb. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller but I think we have made a deal. I'll follow up with pictures and I expect about 500 dumb questions once I get the machine on-site.

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-03-31 14:31

    The dumb question is the one you don't ask. Everyone here has experience on one level or another. If I don't know the answer, 10-12 other guys will. You might need a touch of patience, nobody answers at the moment. It might take a bit. Good luck once again Oh and yes, the straight blade is what I was speaking of. It comes in handy, if for nothing else but stability.

  5. #5rondig2019-03-31 15:08

    Volvo dealers are great to get parts fast....but at Cat prices lol

  6. #6David Boreham2019-03-31 15:09

    This is a picture I took yesterday on the seller's lot of the front-end. The bucket is made by TAG but I'm not sure about the coupler : on the TAG web site the shape looks a bit different. I think those small bore pipes are for a hydraulic coupler, since there are much larger quick fittings higher up the boom and look to be the primary aux lines.

  7. #7David Boreham2019-03-31 16:03

    Some searching later, I think the coupler is made by CP, this one : https://www.paladinattachments.com/products/cp-ex-quick-hitch-coupler , or it's an exact copy of that one. I'm interested in tracking down a decent thumb to attach to this machine. I found this example, but I'm not sure of the vendor (the bucket and coupler in this picture are CP but the thumb doesn't match any on the CP/Paladin web site today) : https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171228/item/BE9379

  8. #8KSSS2019-04-01 09:52

    Having lines down to the bucket on a smaller machine like that is a nice feature. I would take advantage of that and put a hyd coupler on it if you change buckets a lot. Personal opinion, I cant stand those Wain Roy style couplers, that is just me. If it were me, I would go with a Werk Brau coupler and thumb. The couplers are good, both hyd and manual, buckets are very good and although I am not really excited about the finger design on some of their thumbs, they make a good product, at a fair price. They have told me they would build whatever I wanted so there is that. I have had two WB thumbs and they are a quality product and the ordering process is pretty easy (can only buy through a dealer though).

  9. #9David Boreham2019-04-01 18:18

    Thanks. I'm grateful for any advice on attachments and couplers. I found there is a WB dealer in town. I have to also consider my budget at least in the next year: if I were to replace the coupler I'd have to pay for that and also a trenching bucket just to get to the same capability I have now. otoh I do need to install a thumb and it would be good to do that right.

  10. #10funwithfuel2019-04-01 18:51

    Those pipes are aux hydraulics. Hammer, thumb, blah blah blah. The coupler, it's not terrible. I think it uses an over-center spring and lever for retention. Werk beau is good stuff, affordable too.

  11. #11funwithfuel2019-04-01 19:29

    With your thumb idea, are you considering rigid or hydraulic?

  12. #12David Boreham2019-04-01 21:09

    Definitely hydraulic. I need to clear fallen trees on my property and place big rocks to improve the banks on my pond, among other things. My first thought was to try to track down the manufacturer of the one fitted to this machine (not mine, but mine is the same model and has the exact same bucket mount) : https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171228/item/BE9379

  13. #13suladas2019-04-01 21:36

    The wain roy coupler is annoying as you're constantly have to re-shim the bucket to keep it tight. After re-shimming mine I get maybe 10-15 hours before there is a tiny of play, and re-shimming 2 times a year to keep it reasonable. I've also had my coupler tear a few times and need re-welding. Annoying, but a new coupler and buckets aren't cheap. As far as parts, I haven't directly compared much but i've been happy with Volvo's prices compared to others, service is good also. I'm not too well versed on those machines but those lines look to me like for a hydraulic coupler, not attachments based on their location. To add a thumb is easy though, just need new main pin and weld plate on stick, then the plumbing.

  14. #14funwithfuel2019-04-01 21:40

    Paladin, I think that will come back to rebadged JRB. Good stuff. Just be careful setting your pressure. Gotta make sure the thumb yields to the bucket. Can't have them equal, bad stuff will happen. Is your potential purchase open cab as well, or is it enclosed with all the bells and whistles?

  15. #15David Boreham2019-04-01 21:48

    Initially my thought was that those lines were the typical aux circuit. However I found that, further up the dipper, and much bigger pipes. So this machine has two aux hydraulic circuits : one big with fittings high up, and the other small terminating near the bucket.

  16. #16David Boreham2019-04-01 22:08

    Thanks, I saw in that other machine I posted above they had included hydraulic shut off valves on the thumb, and a second set of fittings T-ed off that look to allow use of a hammer, etc without having to uncouple the thumb lines. That looked like a smart way to run the plumbing, but not my field am I may be missing something (electrical engineer..).

  17. #17KSSS2019-04-01 23:38

    You beat me to it, I was also going to say those small lines are for coupler not attachments, but it is cool that they are already piped and ready for coupler install. The Wain Roy couplers are notorious for getting loose, being your not a contractor maybe it wouldn't be as obnoxious for you. However if the budget would allow, it would be easier to put the coupler (mech or hyd) and thumb on at the same time so the tines and the bucket teeth can mesh between each other. It doesn't have to be done at once but it would easier if it were.