Had a student and told him that we were going to put a French drain across a parking lot. He was too do up a drawing, he said he understood. When I came back he did not do it. After I stopped yelling at him I asked him if he knew what a French drain was and he did not. They do not teach the lingo.i am putting together a list of lingo any ideas on words.
Why were you yelling at him. If he is your student should you not be teaching him what you assign him to do and the "lingo" that goes along with it?
Yair . . . Of course things change with region and country. I worked with a Californian who thought a "batter" was what went on fish and onion rings before they were deep fried . . . I had asked him if he could run a batter blade on an Eight. buddy605 . What is a French drain? Cheers.
this is what i know as a french drain
Yair . . . monster76 Gotcha mate, a flash sort of a spoon drain eh? Cheers
kinda but you need to toss some baguette's in there to make it french
I was yelling at him because he did not have it done. I am not a instructor, they make a lot more and have summers off. I had anouther fresh out of school told me yesterday when I phoned and asked what a line was tell me. Can't you see on the plans it is a different colour on the cad drawing.
"Had a student and told him that we were going to put a French drain across a parking lot." When some one says "had a student" it leads one to think someone is doing the instruction. Yelling does not seem to be the best way to do this instructing, could be this was not the first time getting yelled at and was afraid if he said he didn't know what a French drain was that would trigger yelling. Over the years I have come across many different terms for the same things. So it does not surprise me that a term you take as simple might have a completely different name somewhere else Mack may call something a Puff-limiter, Cummins an aneroid, and Cat a Fuel air ratio control and so on. They all do more or less the same thing even if by different mechanisms.
As mentioned above no an instructor they get summers off.
If this post here isn't a perfect example of the subject, I don't know what is. Only an Aussie could understand that one.
One of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much is the exposure to a variety of cultural and regional expressions! Well put Mitch!
The closest to to "French Drain" I have heard of is a "French Ditch" that was explained to me as basically a trench a couple feet wide and deep filled with what we call #2 or #3 cruched stone. Not covered with dirt and no drain pipe in it. At least that is how the guy who told me they were made!
That's exactly what I'd call a French Drain. The only other comment would be that the width and depth could literally be anything from a couple of feet to maybe 10ft or more, all depending on how much water it might be required to flow through it. The bigger the dimensions the larger the stone that would be put into the bottom of it to get the flow.
wow, instructor by name or not, your obviously ment to be "mentoring" and doing a poor job of that, In my old job i was a lift fitter, my fitters mate was not only there to pass spanners but learn the job aswell, i was paid no extra or given the summer off either, but i managed to teach him all i knew including other names for the same parts/practices. How do you expect the next generation how to learn, if you go off on one and scare them into submission, i would suggest the first bit of lingo "you" learn is patience.
sfrs4, You said it better than I did. Other than me not knowing what what the heck a lift fitter is;-). Only guessing that it's what over here we would call an elevator installer. And spanners are what we call wrenches. Over here a spanner is: https://www.google.com/search?gs_rn...tpub.com%2F14310%2Fcss%2F14310_36.htm;320;574
2 countries separated by a common lanugage - sigh © ...........
Yair . . . What, kshansen you call them hook wrenches 'spanners' . . . really? (he grins) So we have ring spanners and open ended spanners and hybrid open end/ring spanners and socket spanners. In every day use they become 'ringies', 'openenders', 'open ended ringies' and 'sockets'. Some how 'ring wrench' and 'open ended wrench' and hybrid 'open end/ring wrench' and 'socket wrench' doesn't seem to cut it. How do you fellers differentiate? Cheers
The thing I went off on him was if he did not know ask. He was a second year student In a engineers/technicians line of work if you do not know what or how to do things you could get sued or worst someone killed. I was involved in a job 2 years ago where a young EIT thought he knew how to do a retaining wall but did not. The wall fell over, damages are in the millions and court will last for years. I have found lately it is better to cut them down and if they quit oh well. When you build them up they will be really good. The young EIT above is a awesome Engineer now
Wrench, of course, not spanner: Box end, open end, open end/box end or combination. Sockets are those things that snap onto ratchets, extensions, and pull handles or breaker bars. Those wrenches that have an open end and a flip over socket on the other end are called saltus wrenches in the catalogs, but they are rare over here. The one I had to learn is the Aussie word "shifter". I was seeing a pry bar or something. We call that an adjustable wrench, or a crescent wrench. To make it worse I was talking on here about old 13 spd transmissions and rigging them enough to get out of the woods (bush), and he said he did something with only a "shifter". To us, a shifter is the rod that sticks up through the floor to change gears. Cheers (see, I'm bilingual), Mitch
In my mind a French Drain is any type of collection system that allows water to percolate into the ground, as opposed to entering a storm sewer system. Typically this occurs sub surface as depicted in the drawing provided by monster76.
To me a wrench is having to climb out of a warm bed in the morning in the middle of winter and leave for work ............
Sometimes a new guy will hesitate to ask a question, afraid they will get heck for not knowing something. I often have a job of training new hires at work on operating equipment like off-highway and front end loaders. I do my best to explain everything including where to find the operators manual for the machine then I tell them if they forget something or just don't understand feel free to ask questions. I tell them I rather explain it again if it means something does not get damaged that I have to fix. I also make it a point to tell them that that machine doesn't give a hoot about them and will chew them up and spit them out in a blink of an eye.