Like the title says...how do you guys keep mice out of the equipment in the off season? I've read about peppermint oil and I've seen some stuff called Fresh Cab, have any of you guys ever used this stuff? Does it work at all?
Clothes dryer sheets work in my motorhome.
I put dose's of decon poison in my machine's.... especially the gen set's and things electrical.
That expensive Fresh Cab stuff is environmentally friendly, and works until the mice realize it's edible. :beatsme
Moth balls, poison, and then a tin can filled with anitfreeze, in case they get thirsty after they eat the poison, just make sure that animals you like to have around can't get into the area at all and get into the poison or anti freeze.
Antifreeze is good. I knew it was sweet, but I got a taste siphoning some today and couldn't believe how good it was. No antidote for antifreeze though, mice baits are easy to antidote if a dog or child eats them accidentally. Sure helps to keep any machine as far as possible from any tall grass or weeds too.
Park it on a piece of visqueen. poke a few small holes in it to drain water and bring it up the sides a few feet.
To remove mice - simple. Install cat.
What program you use for that?
Some pretty good ideas guys. I was also planning on using some of these ideas for my 5th wheeler and maybe even my hunting camp. The thing about the poison or traps is that they will lay there dead and stinking for quite a while before I get there to throw them out so I was thinking more along the lines of a repellent to keep them away. For my equipment, I'll use several of these ideas and see what works. Thanks everyone.
Actually I remembered this and did a shaemless cut & paste .......... "Squawks" are problem listings that pilots generally leave for maintenance crews. Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by military pilots and the replies from the maintenance crews. Problem: "Left side tire almost needs replacement." Solution: "Almost replaced left side tire." Problem: "Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough." Solution: "Auto-land not installed on this aircraft." Problem #1: "#2 Propeller seeping prop fluid." Solution #1: "#2 Propeller seepage normal. #1, #3, and #4 propellers lack normal seepage." Problem: "The autopilot doesn't." Signed off: "IT DOES NOW." Problem: "Something loose in cockpit." Solution: "Something tightened in cockpit." Problem: "Evidence of hydraulic leak on right main landing gear." Solution: "Evidence removed." Problem: "DME volume unbelievably loud." Solution: "Volume set to more believable level." Problem: "Dead bugs on windshield." Solution: "Live bugs on order." Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode produces a 200 fpm descent." Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground." Problem: "IFF inoperative." Solution: "IFF always inoperative when switched OFF." Problem: "Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick." Solution: "That's what they're there for." Problem: "Aircraft handles funny." Solution: "Aircraft sternly warned to straighten up, fly right, and get serious." Problem: "Target Radar hums." Solution: "Reprogrammed Target Radar with the lyrics." Problem: "Number three engine missing." Solution: "Engine found on starboard wing after brief search." Problem: "Mouse in cockpit." Solution: "Cat installed."
How about a rubber snake ? It may even keep two legged rats (thieves).
So far, I have been unsuccessful in keeping the mice out, and have repaired the wiring on the excavator several times now. The problem with baits and poison is that the rodent still has time to do damage after eating the poison or before he finds it. The machinery has always been parked near tall weeds and other things that give cover to a mouse searching out a new dwelling. This summer we made a large parking pad that we will keep clean and mowed close to hopefully make it too "dangerous" for the rodents to venture into the machinery.