Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Continental engine question

glzim79 · 2024-02-04 16:30

Hello. Does anyone know if I can use the block from a Continental gas TM20 to rebuild a diesel TMD20? They appear to be the same. I have access to a block out of a gas engine but can’t seem to locate a diesel. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-02-04 16:39

    Idk.. but I would think the “D” would be stouter.. more thickness between cylinders and crank webbing.. Just a thought..

  2. #2glzim792024-02-04 17:20

    I haven’t done any measuring but by all appearances they seem to be the same. The diesel block has a place for a distributor…..

  3. #3cfherrman2024-02-04 17:52

    Lots of industrial engines are the same, diesel gets forged rods, domed pistons and an injector while gas gets cast rods, lower compression pistons and a spark plug. I don't know specifically in this case.

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-02-04 18:18

    Forged crank. Continental TMD-20 Diesel Engine, any good? Not really sure what the question is, yes changing the hydraulic oil is as easy as remove plug and catch it in a tub of some kind. Not sure on this 1835 but most of the 1845's have a spin-on hydraulic filter near the back in the engine compartment over to the right side. Screw the old one off... HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-02-04 21:11

    It could have been designed as a diesel and they offered a gasoline version as an option. Similar to the 3 cylinder Perkins. A heavy duty block for gas engine versions.