I'm looking at buying a used dozer from a private owner. I have someone that has 30 years experience with operating and fixing const. equipment to check it out. I was wondering what to use as a sales contract. Most used equipment sales are "as is", but I want to protect myself with a signed contract. Thanks in advance. Chad
From a private owner? He'll probably tell you to take a hike if you ask him to garrantee a used machine - I would. And if you mention the word "contract", you're lucky if he doesn't take a few shots at you as you are leaving his property. If it was me, I would tell my buddies about you the next day, and we would all get a good laugh....just being honest. Seriously - you can't have your cake and eat it too - you want security, buy new, and release your grip around that wallet. You want to save a few bucks, buy used.
Do you mean a "bill of sale"? Chad, By contract do you mean proof that you paid and are now the rightful owner? If so you might find a copy of a bill of sale online that will work. This is what I have used for private transactions. It will have space for a vin or serial#, amount paid, date, etc. and a place for both parties to sign. I hope this helps.
Every piece of equipment I ever bought was ,as is,where is, with all faults. Oil samples would help you if you are a serious buyer
dozer I think this has been answered, why dont you post what kind of dozer this is and we can tell you if they have any regular problems to look for. post price, make and model, hours and year. There are some dozers you need to stay away from. Pictures would be good I would just type out a bill of sale with all the info and get him to sign it. Pay with check, cashiers check, money order, anything that you have a record that you bought and paid for it. Add on the bill of sale and the equipment is free and clear of all liens, mortgages, repair bills, etc. I am not a lawyer, and this may not do any good, but it might help, if something comes up later. No one (most no one) is going to give you a warranty on a used piece of equipment, Not even most dealers. Be careful
Contract for equipment sale I appreciate the information and the relys. The main thing I'm after is to have the sale in writing and Willis and Diggedirt pointed me in the right dirrect. I'm not look for a warranty. A disclosure of any problems would be appreciated, athough I think that would be asking alot of any seller. They mentioned that the only problem was the tilt cylinder is leaking, but that is not a major problem. The dozer is a Dresser (IH) TD-20G. We have a couple of them already and really like them. There is about 10,000 hours on machine and the motor has about 4,000 hours on the rebuild. I don't know the status of the transmission and the finals. There are about 1000 hours on the CAT S.A.L.T chain and pads. The sprockets look good. We have to check out the rollers and idlers. The 1988machine is a 52,000 lbs. with 225 hp. They are asking $30,000 for it.
The best way to protect yourself in a private party financing situation is to have the seller do a UCC filing with the state. This protects both you and him.
Found the info for Iowa for you. http://www.sos.state.ia.us/business/UCCLawInfo.html
Sounds like a nice dozer clansing1.TD 20 G is good for small short term jobs or bigger jobs if need be.Allways get a bill of sale and when buying used equipment I like to run it on a jobsite for a few hours before I commit to buying it.As for the rollers & idlers,I feel them after a few hours of use to see if it has a hot roller or idler that is getting ready to burn out.Good luck with the td 20 g clansing1.
We bought the dozer. I am going to write up a bill of sale and fax it to him Monday. We are going to have a 3rd party haul the machine and I'm going to get some quotes on Monday also. Once the contract is signed I'm going to mail (with signature required) him a certified check. Am I missing anything? Thanks again for the help. Chad