Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trench box for small residential work.

nedly05 ยท 2009-10-31 05:14

What do you guys use for a trench box in small residential work? Are there small boxes that can be used for small jobs, and handled by small equipment? I did a google search but dont come up with much but the great big boxes used on big pipe jobs.If there is such a box, what do they cost? Thanks!

Replies23
  1. #1D5G2009-10-31 06:12

    nedly, this is the smallest trench box I have seen. I believe it was a GME. No idea on price...it doesn't look real comfortable at this width (as you can see in the pic, it fits under a semi trailer) But I know they had bigger spacers on site for it. Good luck finding one.

  2. #2CM19952009-10-31 08:32

    Nedly here are a few options - http://www.gme-shields.com/products/aluminum http://www.bakercorp.com/trench-steel-trench-shields.asp I haven't used shields myself because I don't do underground work but I have been around them. On the smaller sewer and conduit type jobs I have seen the small aluminum trench shields in the ditch and modular units used for manhole connections. As for cost, I don't know. Might be able to find some used ones out there.

  3. #3D1552009-10-31 08:44

    Look at that GME link. Dealer I work for has all sorts of different size boxes. Big and small. Think we have from 6x8 aluminum up to 8x20 steel.

  4. #4RobVG2009-10-31 11:49

    Our guys use aluminum hydraulic shoring and marine plywood panels. The system easily fits in a pick up.

  5. #5stumpjumper832009-10-31 15:41

    i think you can still use 3/4" exterior plywood for trench shoring, usually we just dig a ditch with a more gentle slope.

  6. #6stock2009-11-01 15:54

    What depth are you working at?

  7. #7JS580SL2009-11-01 18:28

    Some boxes n shoaring equipment we use.

  8. #8heavylift2009-11-01 19:38

    we have a couple sets of these... very light http://www.speedshore.com/index.html

  9. #9nedly052009-11-02 01:01

    Thanks for all of the replies guys!! What do you think of this one?price, size and weight look good! http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Aluminum-Mo...286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&ps=6

  10. #10rino14942009-11-02 06:06

    Those boxes new are about $4,000.

  11. #11bluntman410g2009-11-02 10:30

    we have 2 speedshores and another one but cant remember the name. they were great when you use them everday, we havent used ours for a year now. dad wants to get rid of em.:beatsme

  12. #12nedly052009-11-03 06:03

    It says its new?? It must be a good price then! What do you guys use rino?

  13. #13copter62010-01-12 14:46

    do you still want to get rid of those trench boxes?

  14. #14danhoe2010-01-12 15:04

    Call Protech in Taylor, Michigan they have some small boxes in the rental fleet they are looking to sell. The last small box I rented showed up in a pick up, it was alum. We were in downtown Detroit, I put it together put in the hole and buried it so no one would steal it over night, dug out the repair took the box out. When I dug for my dad I pulled a 30' long x 8' tall, we had 13' spreaders for it down to 6', that was heavy. Dan

  15. #15nkh1112010-01-13 21:40

    Look up the nearest United Rental and they will work with you.

  16. #16chrisbowles2010-01-17 14:51

    Our Local cat rental store use to carry trench box's. Might want to check with urs

  17. #17Iron Lot2015-10-01 11:46

    Iron Lot has several options available for residential work, utility and spot repairs. We offer a full line of aluminum trench boxes for sale . We also have some lightweight steel trench boxes for sale that a backhoe or mini-excavator can pickup. For example the 7.5 x 8 steel box only weighs 1,400 lbs. Call direct at 336-516-8011

  18. #18wrc2015-10-01 16:17

    them are some good looking boxes iron lot. I have pondered the same idea many times. I need some speed shores or a small box my self.

  19. #19CM19952015-10-01 19:52

    Welcome to the Forums Ironlot. Take a moment to read the Forum Rules , specifically this section - Your post is your "freebie", feel free to discuss your product in this thread only. If you would like to be a Forum sponsor, feel free to use the "Contact Us" link on the main forum page.

  20. #20PipeGuy2015-10-01 21:18

    I have many GME boxes. I have a JD 50D excavator that I use a "lite shield" by GME. It is Very versatile to how it can be set up as 2,3,or 4 sides. The spreaders and be changed. I also have a couple of 6'h x8'long GME boxes and they are a bit heavy for the 50D. But they work fine with my 135D. I also have a 6'x12' and 8'x20' and 12' long manhole box and a bunch of plates of steel. Something that we also do is use pieces of Finform to supplement the lite shield when you need to go a bit deeper or you have some sand running in or perhaps to cover then end or top over night to keep kids from falling in the excavation. The trench jacks work in the right soil conditions. But they are difficult to get a pierce of pipe down in the trench with all of the cylinders

  21. #21Iron Lot2015-10-02 11:03

    Thank you wrc, let me know if I can do anything for you. We also have hydraulic shoring systems. The lightweight steel boxes are a great option, a 6x6 is only 1,000 lbs and it is 3" double wall steel.

  22. #22Iron Lot2015-10-02 11:08

    Thank you CM1995, I appreciate your message and the "freebie". I will take your advice.

  23. #23MorganBrik2025-01-28 15:54

    Heres an updated Provider www.trenchsystemcontrol.com light weight aluminum trench shields you can use with smaller equipment. 2,3,4 sided. stackable to 12 feet. one guy can haul with a pickup and assemble in minutes.