Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Contractor Equipment Storage – Mebane NC (Monthly Spots Opening)

TCW STRATEGIC HOLDINGS · 2026-03-19 10:36

Hey everyone, I’m opening up a small outdoor equipment storage yard in the Mebane / Alamance County area and wanted to see if anyone local is looking for space. Built specifically for: skid steers mini excavators work trucks dump trailers Property is laid out for easy in/out access (not a tight storage lot). Month-to-month options. If you’re working in the area and need a place to keep equipment instead of hauling daily, shoot me a message. – Tim TCW Strategic Holdings

Replies16
  1. #1CM19952026-03-19 11:21

    Welcome to the Forums TWC. Take a moment to look at the Forum Rules - HeavyEquipmentForums Specifically this section - This is your one introductory thread. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2Coaldust2026-03-19 11:46

    This thread does have potential if we are careful about the approach. I’m not specifically interested in North Carolina lay down yard rates, but I would like to know what folks are paying for laydown yard space. I have a client in Anchorage that pays $13,500 a month to park 10 trucks and two pup trailers in a rather cramped space. That includes a bull rail and a fence. There is a lay down yard in Wasilla available one acre, no electricity, no gate for $5,000 per month.

  3. #3Coaldust2026-03-19 11:53

    TCW Tim. Welcome to the HEF. Interesting that you stopped by.

  4. #4CM19952026-03-19 19:05

    Well yeah me too... OIS (Outdoor Industrial Storage) is something I am looking at for an investment. Already have a 1.5 acre fenced M1 (heavy industrial) zoned lot with 6' fence, power, water, sewer and storage that we use for ourselves. When retirement comes around it's part of our passive retirement income strategy. CD I would be ecstatic to get $5k per month for our yard. I know it's Alaska and things are very expensive but why so expensive to rent a 1 AC parcel? Zoning and location? Looking at a couple of sites that would be great for OIS. I would think at a bare minimum it needs a hard, flat gravel surface and 6' chain link fence.

  5. #5Coaldust2026-03-19 19:30

    I remember you talking about that. I’m going to do something similar. With this Glenfarne project on the horizon, there will be a huge need for space. To answer your question, yard space is tight because we are running out of room, close to the core Wasilla/Palmer area. There is so much muskeg and wetlands. Plus, any flat, dry spot is turning into a sub-division as fast as it can be built.

  6. #6Coaldust2026-03-19 19:37

    There is a large man-camp, gravel pit and pipe storage yard proposed, nearby. Susitna Camp. In my backyard, for the most part. I want to put up a drive through coffee shack and sell $30 breakfast burritos to all the Tx Pipeliners that move in. I need to act fast before word gets out and land prices go bonkers.

  7. #7CM19952026-03-19 19:58

    Smart -

  8. #8CM19952026-03-19 19:59

    Seriously I think it's a great investment. Very low overhead and easy to evict if they don't pay unlike anything residential.

  9. #9Coaldust2026-03-19 20:21

    I believe it. I’m doing my due diligence on a couple parcels right now. My CPA talked me into setting up a new LLC for the land. At first, I was excited about highway frontage, but discovered a SOA commercial approach and permit is about $25k, along the Park’s Hwy. IDK about that. Borough road access will work just almost as good. Out of sight has its advantages.

  10. #10CM19952026-03-19 20:58

    X4 on that. Depending on the parcel size a separate LLC for each space is the best IMO. Limits liability and in some cases easier to sell individually.

  11. #11smifwal2026-03-19 21:08

    It is a stellar investment, it is almost passive income, a friend of mine has a industrial lot where he rents parking spaces (that is how he has it laid out) I have never asked how much per spot but when he was a renter he said he was paying about $2500/acre/month. His biggest problem is the thieves in the night. They have cut the chain to his rolling gate 4-5 times last I heard. One day when I am all grown up I will own a industrial lot.

  12. #12CM19952026-03-19 21:21

    $2500 per acre per month is solid income. Yeah thieves are always a problem and the biggest issue IMO on the concept.

  13. #13smifwal2026-03-19 23:05

    He looked in to a on site security station like you see in the parking lots of Lowe's or Walmart, hell you probably have them on your job sites, anyway he said they are stupid money to rent and I am not sure there was a option to buy. He has about $400k in 5 acres 2 of those he is leasing from the railroad. It was AG so real soft loam, he laid down fabric and brought in 3-4 for base and then topped that with screenings. And paved a little section for a salt depot

  14. #14CM19952026-03-20 10:45

    I have been looking for parcels that are either low or a big hole in industrial areas where the property can be bought and we can fill it in with dirt, concrete, block and asphalt from our site demo and construction jobs. Buy it cheap, basically get paid to fill it, then when flat lease it out. Not worried about compaction or putting a building on it just outside storage. If a parcel is big enough the concrete debris could be stockpiled, rent a crusher for $20K a month and make the cover gravel. Crushed limestone here is running $35-38 per TN delivered which is a $900+/- for a 25 TN tri-axle load.

  15. #15smifwal2026-03-20 21:25

    I talked to my friend today he said he is anywhere from 100 to 150 per spot but he is getting ready to raise prices, 10-15 per spot, there is another guy here that is 175-235 per spot but they have a paved lot

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-03-21 04:04

    I should look into renting land for storing trucks or equipment. I could have at least 30 acres available. Don't know if I could get the zoning though. I'm about 30 minutes from a major city. Is there a demand for contractors looking for a yard to keep/park equipment? Would have to stipulate not a junk yard where I'm left to clean it up.