I'm working on a Sullair 185 compressor with a Cat 2.2, I believe. I'm trying to connect to it. I have a Nexiq and some 2011 software. My problem is, my 9 pin connector has a key on the center pin, but the diag port on the compressor is grey and has no key for the center pin. I've never had to modify my connectors for the Nexiq, so I'm hesitant to just take a dremel and grind off the key Can anybody dumb this down for me? What am I doing wrong?
Needs a different cable maybe.?
Diesel Laptops 9 Pin CAT to Standard 9 Pin Adapter This 9 pin adapter allows technicians to connect a standard 9 pin datalink adapter to Off-Highway CAT equipment equipped with the CAT 9 pin diagnostic connector. This adapter supports the standard J1939 and J1708 protocol and allows customers to read the standard SAE codes and live data. www.diesellaptops.com There is a difference between the Cat and "standard" 9 pin. The link is to an adapter, the website also has both cables pictured.
There are a multitude of options available for the circular Deutsch 9-pin connector. See if you can find a copy of Cat document REHS0970 somewhere online. IIRC it not only has Cat Part Numbers but Deutsch ones also.
Oh! So the cats don't have the same 9 pin as everyone else. Well that figures. Thanks Nige!
And ozarkag!
See attached. What's the S/N of the engine you're working on.?
Thanks! It looks like it's right near the end. I don't know the s/n. It's at the shop, and I won't be there again til Monday.
If you can come up with an engine S/N it ought to be possible to find the Part Number of the 9-pin plug on the engine from the electrical schematic. That should cough up the number of the mating connector required on the diagnostic cable. Unless of course the diagnostic connector is part of the compressor electrical system rather than the engine.
ESN is G4303861. ECU 185186301. I have cat 2011 and perkins 2015. I forgot I had a cat com3 in a box that had the right connector on it to plug in (no keyed center pin). It found the ECU, but showed it as unsupported. I'm not planning on spending the bucks to update my old cat software just for this one compressor. I was hoping my Perkins 2015 would work, but no dice there either. I may be out of luck
Soooo... after alot of messing around with the software and such trying to figure out WTH is happening with this little compressor, I found the problem. The water separator had a leak in it somewhere and was letting in air, and randomly killing the engine. Most engines I mess with usually don't even throw a code for fuel starvation. I don't know how I missed this rather obvious problem at the start, but what can I say? I'm getting older and not necessarily smarter.
Correct
The 9-pin connector "family" ('cos it's more than one) is actually part of the Deutsch HD10 Series of connectors. See this LINK
If you look at page 10 you can see that they have option codes to make it the standard J1939 version BP03 and P080. This version has a keyway on the center pin and one of the side pins is smaller to prevent interlocking by old versions of the dongle but making it backward compatible so new versions of the dongle can plug into old machine connectors. It appears Cat uses the bog standard 9-96 version found on Page 8 instead. I recollect that two of the wire/pin positions are reversed between the Cat version and the J1939 version.
That's obviously why Cat need an adapter harness to go from their ET Comms Adapter cable to a J1939 connector.
That is the opposite of what the OP needs, though. This one adapts a Cat tool to a J1939 adapter. The one ozarkag linked is the one that goes from a standard tool to a Cat machine.