I'm wondering about contractor licensing requirements around the country. Here in Washington to get a license you need to put up a $6000 specialty bond or a $12000 general contractor bond, show proof of current contractors liability insurance, and pay a license fee that is due every year, or its every two years now. Is the same procedure across the board or does every state have different ideas, requirements, etc? Also, how often do you run across unlicensed/unregisted contractors in you area? What problems have occured. I had a situation this last week where I was bidding on a project, I found out I was bidding against an unlicensed contractor. I questioned the prime contractor that requested my bid, and he checked the unlicensed contractor out and he was not licensed. The person in question confronted me and tried to give me line about how he didnt have to licensed,and didnt need to be bonded. Then claimed he had one, and then again said he let it drop. What the general concenus on contractor licensing, and the enforcement of these laws?
No replies yet.