I was wondering if contractors often need somewhere to dump material from excavating jobs like digging basements or foundations? I was thinking it could be an easy cheap way to get material to build my new MX track if I was close enough. I'm not sure yet how much clay/dirt I have to build jumps but there is a lot of sand that isn't good for jumps. I've seen people advertise for clean fill but thought I could just talk to some contractors in the area. I wouldn't want rocks or demo debris.
I don't know how much you'll need but I'd recommend keeping it to a few local contractors you can trust to bring you only what you want. Otherwise you will end up with everything except clean fill. Put up gate, lock it, and give a key to those you trust. Once several dump trucks are observed driving towards your area loaded and away from it empty others looking for a free dump site will start nosing around. You could end up with literally anything from brush, to entire loads of asphalt, to kitchen appliances, to... We've had success in busy urban areas with getting the kind of fill we needed for nothing but somebody has to be available to manage it.
Dave, how about using the sand to build the mounds then cover with a good layer of clay. That could save you some trouble.
I'm not sure what type of sand is the most prevelant. Some is really loose. I'd still need clay. I'm kind of out of the way so don't think there'd be a problem with illegal dumping. I was just thinking if someone was digging basements or needed to get rid of decent material I could take it and help them out. I know some big projects can really need somewhere to dump large amounts of fill.
In the UK all the tipping of inert material has been stopped by the EA Environment Agency. They are visiting random farmers fields,,golf courses,anything that looks like a yard or dump,then ground testing. It’s gone mad here with fines after fines and many closures with immediate effect. As for the big boys with licenses,they are systematically going through the fine print. I’m not sure the laws over in your country,but if it’s ok to tip certain materials,then take the advice of the poster who mentions locked gates and only allowing certain contractors to tip there. Be careful Dave
I'm sure you already thought about asking the gravel pit owners that you traded land with. I got hooked up with three different concrete contractors when I needed fill for my backyard. I didn't worry about rocks, I simply picked them out and buried them. I probably got over 600 loads. Be very careful not doing anything that isn't legal, I dumped about 100 loads in a floodplain. Someone took pictures of it and anonymously mailed them and the location to the Illinois EPA Director. I had to remove all of it, No fines or penalties were imposed.
If I need material I'll definitely look into the legalities of getting it brought in. I won't be using it to fill low spots or swampy area's. It would be used for building jumps or hills and maybe berms for noise reduction. It could be a lot less work than having to dig the same amount myself. I need to dig some test holes to see what I've got for building jumps. I don't think the gravel pit hauls overburden they can't use but could certainly ask. They are crazy busy hauling sand hiring trucking companies to help.
When we hauled the grabbings away from the sports plex one of the hoe operators had built a new home and needed fill. We filled around his property and a part of his property he wanted to sell. He ended up with a little over 3000 loads.
If I could get a large amount of good material I could build a good size hill to climb with a table top jump at the top. There's already a pretty good drop in elevation I could add to. If it's sand I'd need to use clay/dirt to make it more solid.
Google Earth and Google Maps doesn’t help either
Google earth is too far away to show the elevation changes. There's a street view that's really good but only from the street side of the property. I could use 3000yd's. plus to build a proper track. Being sand I don't need as much clay because sand creates natural whoops and it's own challenges. Kind of like braking and accelerating washboard on gravel roads but 1000 times worse. Very demanding to ride in deep loose sand but I don't want it too deep that junior riders struggle too much. Sand is great because rain makes it better and even wet it's just wet sand and not slimy and slippery like mud.
Because of those damn things in the sky, with the eagle eye, changes must be made very gradually and over the course of years, even decades. That, or the man, locally known here as the DES, will come a knocking. Bad enough, the tax man comes a knocking, after you decided to add to your deck, or put up a shed. One way containers, are becoming the popular option.
Happy Harley, I had 70 brand new shipping containers that I bought for one of my yards to rent out as storage.Kept things spotless and was served an enforcement order to have them gone within 6 weeks after getting away with it for about 5 years. It was fair enough as I knew I was breaking the planning consent and they’d made me good money,but point being,containers are frowned upon over here. It’s getting increasingly difficult to make money in the UK nowadays
The county has a limit on how many shipping containers you can have based on what you're doing with the property. I think I could have 2.
Nicky, is the world's best worse farmer now your friend?
there is (or was) a website called dirtseek in the US not sure about Canada with the sole intention of connecting people looking to get rid of dirt with people needing dirt. You might check it out or try to find a similar site. I tried to sign in to my old account to check on geographic coverage but I couldnt get in.
Big deal here is getting rid of concrete and asphalt. Surprisingly people will take asphalt over concrete . We don't recycle asphalt unless it's milled, and concrete es never reused. Main bridge is closing at the end of the month for 9 months. They are stripping a 3rd of the deck to the steel beams and re doing it. Not sure where they are going to take the concrete. We have a huge dump site close by. But the property does not belong to us, and the owner will not take concrete. Going to be a huge headache. This bridge is a main road that connects the northern part of the province. Traffic is going to be routed through the city .
Is renting a crusher and recycling the concrete an option ? I worked on interstate highway renovations and the concrete was crushed in the lane right next to the one where the concrete was being demoed. Rebar was pulled out of the crusher as needed. The rebar was quite clean and sold for scrap. Nice bonus for the company owner. A lot of the concrete was put right back in where we had to make undercuts in the sub-grade.
Bridge contract is not ours but they might hire us to dispose of the concrete. We tried crushing asphalt and it just came down to money. Not worth it. As for crushing concrete, same thing. Rebar tears belts and there really isn't a demand for the material.
Some say crushed concrete is better than road crush on a driveway. It sells for a little less I think but still gets a good price.
If rock is available there's not much reason to mess with crushing concrete. The county I used to work in had 8 or 10 pits 20 years ago and nobody crushed concrete. Now there are 3 or 4 and crushed concrete is a big deal.
Some prefer it over road crush. They say it packs really well. It's much better to recycle it that just throw it away.
They tore up 20km of concrete highway about an hour away from here. It was just dumped. Couple years ago they paved over a closer concrete highway. They put a rubber infused asphalt directly over it, then another 7 inches of asphalt over that. We'll see how that lasts. I wonder what asphalt liquid will be this spring. Diesel has gone up almost a dollar a liter in less than a week
Around here it's dumped in to big piles, and eventually crushed...that said, every local pit has let it pile up for years. I used it as driveway base and base for temp laydown areas. It's less than half the cost of virgin aggregates, so why not? When we do concrete demo now, we use a processor to break it down in to 6"- chunks. works good, but it's not super fast. We're doing it to avoid tipping fees.
I wanted to put crushed concrete in for a driveway base but unfortunately here, concrete is listed as a hazardous material. No way, was I going to try that, especially with the DES and the inspectors crawling up my ass.
How is any dirt work done? If I remember right, we can sell up to 2000 yards from a pacel without a permit. 7000 if moving dirt on the parcel... aka a cut and fill.
Not sure how crushed concrete is hazardous but it's pretty common here.
It's the dust. I don't know what the frost is like out there but concrete here is full of rebar and steel mesh. They put up a big pile here years ago. They put it through the jaw and had so many jam ups that they stopped after 3 days. And after 3 days the belt was shredded from rebar.
this was brand new when they tried it
Apologies,should have said all of the inert tipping in unlicensed holes such as golf courses,farmers field where the land has dipped etc
I reckon 1 of these gadgets would be better than a jaw crusher. I feed one of these in a limestone quarry and was faster than a jaw crusher and very quick to set up. A magnet on the belt to separate the steel and wa la.
I've seen a rock drill bit almost bounce a jaw off its cribbing. Thing is here that there is shale rock almost everywhere for clean fill, and we are in the business of crushing so I guess they figure it's more profitable to stick with the sure thing
I think they break up the concrete with a concrete crusher on an excavator and remove the rebar before putting it in the crusher. The city has a recycling yard close to where I live. I thought it was pretty close to full capacity to accept anymore concrete but last year they must have crushed it all and sold or used it because the lot is almost bare now. There was a huge pile of concrete to crush.