Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Surcharge

bam1968 ยท 2026-03-09 00:13

At what point do you all start adding a fuel surcharge or raise your hourly rates to account for rising fuel prices. I do mostly hourly work and previously have raised my rates $10-$20 dollars an hour during higher fuel prices. Nothing really scientific more of a seat of the pants increase. Just curious what other people do? TIA

Replies2
  1. #1crane operator2026-03-09 21:41

    We've always just raised rates , but for this current price spike, we're looking at a fuel surcharge. Most of my local competitors already have fuel surcharge in their prices, and have had for years. I've just always avoided doing it, because I like keeping our rate structure simple. Essentially I would rather raise my rates by $5/hr, as fart around calculating fuel surcharges and/or calculating mileage.

  2. #2PBEtrucking2026-03-13 22:20

    Most of my customers are pretty good so I dont know if id raise by that much, most stuff I do i burn 30-50 gallons a day, at an average of 40 gallons in a day, id put like $8-10 on because in an 8 hr day an extra dollar and change a gallon is the difference between $150 in fuel and $200 in fuel. If it's a crap customer, yeah maybe id try to profit off it.