Can someone explain step by step how to adjust a boom lift controller? I need to adjust the swing control on a Snorkel TB60. Everytime i do one of these i make it worse than before. It has the screw pots like the standard controls. Thanks
Oh man, been so long since I've worked on a Snorkel, don't they have those OEM 4 way joystick controls? How many trim pots do the circuit cards have and what is the function of trim pots, Hi Lo Threshold Ramp etc?
Yep, they are the four way (lift and swing on one stick). I think there are four pots. Hi, low, threshold, ramp
Does it have some sort of range switch for high or low speed boom functions?
I dont think so
Hmmm, ok, I'm thinking. I'm more familiar with PQ controls than OEM, trying to remember how the adjustments are made.
Not sure if I'm looking at the right diagram for your machine, but I'm seeing a Range switch. Don't know if it's just for drive or for boom functions. I'm thinking there has to be some form of boom function speed selector, either a toggle or a rheostat, I'm not certain about that though.
http://www.ctech-ind.com/index.php/3040377-snorkel-joystick-controller.html here is a good picture of it. I dont think that toggle switch does anything other than keep the engine throttled up at all times. There is a rheostat for the toggle switch functions.
Yeah, that's one of those floppy 4 way OEM controllers. I'm just trying to figure out how to adjust the Hi and Lo range trim pots if you don't have some form of switch to select Hi or Lo boom functions.
barklee, the threshold and ramp is easy to adjust. But without some form of function speed control I'm at a loss how to adjust the Hi and Lo on an OEM circuit card. Check it out tomorrow to be sure it doesn't have some form of switch for this. Otherwise, I could only suggest you contact Snorkel tech support for adjustments. I've called them before and they've been pretty good to work with.
Hey barklee, still trying to come up with some info. I've looked over a number of schematics of TB60's, don't know what year model or S/N your machine is. I can't say for certain, but I don't think those are pulse width modulation controllers, I think they simply vary output voltage. I see models with toggle switch telescope that use a rheostat to control boom function speeds, and models with proportional telescope control that don't use the rheostat. But no matter, it doesn't appear rheostat is connected to the joystick controls anyway, but Snorkel schematics are a PITA to read. I can't remember for certain, but seems I remember working on machines that did not have a range switch connected to the controller terminal strip to select hi or lo range. And if they simply vary output voltage, not PWM, you should be able to connect a volt meter to them and do some adjustments. First thing you do is back off all the trim pots. They are 32 turn trim pots. If it's really quiet, as you turning the screws CCW (backing off), when it reaches the end of adjustment you'll hear a faint click. If it's noisy, forget it, you won't hear that click. Once you get the four trim pots backed off, connect a volt meter black lead to ground and red lead to either the A or B terminal on circuit board, maybe start with the boom up/dwn controller. An analog meter works best for this than a digital meter because the needle sweep is more stable. Turn on ignition switch, but don't start engine. Step on the footswitch and fully stroke the boom up control. Some circuit boards have a very small LED lamp that illuminates to indicate whether the boom up is activating the A terminal or the B terminal, that helps, otherwise, you gotta figure out which terminal boom up is activating. Turn the Hi range screw CW and monitor volt meter. If the volt meter starts indicating voltage, keep adjusting screw in until voltage flattens out. Most of those controllers max out between 7 to 9 volts, don't adjust much over max out voltage. Let me know if your circuit cards have that LED output light. It's a small LED, typically located near the ends of the terminal strip.
Thanks for the info Willie. I dont know why i said a TB 60..... its the TB 126 thats in question. Very sorry about that, but its not a total loss being that i have two TB60's that always need adjusting. The bigger problem is the EMS system once again! I pulled it into the parking lot the other night to mess with the controllers and i noticed the system didnt configure itself when you turn the key on. It usually beeps untill this happens. Now all it does is after a few seconds the green light blinks. I opened the EMS panel box and it appears at least to me that there is no power or a loss of a ground somewhere. The display for the primary and secondary have a series of lights, none of which are light. All i know is we used this machine about a month ago and it worked fine when it came back to the shop. Now i guess its time to trace all one million wires and look for a loose connection or ground!!! :bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash Any Ideas??
What! A TB126! Oh man, that's a completely different animal. I don't have any experience with the TB126, but if they're anything like the PRO126, geeeezzzz, that's the most finicky, ornery, temperamental, machine I have ever worked on. We had two, one of them had never ending EMS issues. You could calibrate it, it would work fine, then for no apparent reason, it would flip out again. Never did find a faulty component. The other machine, worked fine, then it sat for about a month, at start up the EMS on that one went nuts. Boss got rid of those things faster than you could say good googa moogus. The last thing I would want to do would be on a machine over a hundred feet in the air and its brain goes bananas. :Banghead