Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converted Wheeled Excavator

95zIV · 2008-02-03 18:07

This started out as a excavator but the company I work for had to make a few modifications to it to get it ready for business. That is a Rail welding head mounted on the boom. This one is going to be shipped over to England. As far as I know this is only the second one of it's kind.

Replies8
  1. #1XL4300X2008-02-04 19:53

    wow, that is an awesome setup. The last rail job I was at, we had hired a company from Texas to do our rail welds. They had the welding machine held up by a frame with an electronic hoist. I had to feed it in, dropping each piece of rail on the rollers they had. They then rolled it to line it up with the welder then fused them together. When a fuse was done, I simply pulled it along until there was enough room for the next piece of rail. With that machine, it looks to be alot easier. Here's a pic, you can see the setup in the back, we had a 330 loading the rail that day and the rail on the dirt to the right is the fused rail that I had to keep on pulling.

  2. #2XL4300X2008-02-04 20:02

    Sorry, I messed up the pic. You can find the pic under the thread "930g"

  3. #3alco2008-02-04 20:37

    Now, that's just plain neat! Thanks Brian

  4. #4bobcat ron2008-02-05 11:52

    That must be a $250,000 job!

  5. #5AtlasRob2008-07-04 17:59

    :update "Million Euro Doosan" is the title in Earthmovers magazine July 2008 QUOTE from magazine. At £0.75m this Doosan DX160W is billed as the worlds most expensive wheeled excavator and is about to be put to work on the UK's railway network as an all terrain flash-butt welding system................. Weighs in at ONLY 25.4 tonnes....................converted to Network Rails latest standard by Philmor Rail before being shipped to USA to be equipped with a 240-500kW Deutz driven electrical power pack, the butt welding head and a comprehensive computer system............

  6. #695zIV2008-09-15 22:04

    We had another one of these in the shop 2 weeks ago when I was in there but it was built on a CAT machine. I'll be back in the shop thrusday if it's still there i'll get a couple of pics.

  7. #7AtlasRob2008-09-17 16:46

    Yes please :thumbsup would be very intrested in that.

  8. #895zIV2009-04-11 16:06

    I was just touring my works site and found this section tells a bit more about the machine. http://www.hollandco.com/equipment/flash-butt-rail-welding-equipment/in-track-welding-equipment/atmw