Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converter/Power-shift change in recommended oils/fluids

akkamaan · 2023-03-27 19:51

I have a question about the converter and power-shift transmission fluids. When the converter/power-shift experience started for me in the early 1970's there was always recommended/demanded to use the red-dyed so-called ATF oil of Dexron type. Later in the 1970s, I can see a 180-degree swing and now a single-grade engine oil like 10W is recommended, or thinner multi-grade oils like 10W-20 or 10W-30. And also Dexron-type (ATF) fluids are strongly NOT recommended in converter/power-shift transmissions. In service manuals, I could read that the "HTF oil Type C2" could replace the ATF oil when temperatures are warmer than -10°C (14°F). I learned back in the day that "HTF" stood for "Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid" and not "Hydraulic Transmission Fluid". I had assumed that HTF oil was a universal oil used in the rear ends of agricultural tractors for the rear axle transmission and the hydraulic 3-point hitch. So what happened with the design of power-shift and converter transmissions that allowed this change? I assume that it was not a change in engine oil properties?! Can these "new" oils be recommended for older equipment that originally was recommended ATF-oil? Please bring some "light in my tunnel" Cheers Per Agesson Port Angeles WA USA

Replies0

No replies yet.