Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 4024 engine

penmur77 · 2023-03-29 12:43

I am wondering what is the difference between JD 4024tf281 and JD4024hf285 engines. How to find if they are interchangeable?

Replies5
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-03-29 14:18

    The 2 engines in question , are they from a similar application ex: generator.? Any serial numbers for the 2 engines ?

  2. #2penmur772023-03-29 14:28

    I only have one serial#PE4024L094610 it is on a 6" trash pump. It is the hf285. The other one is off a generator I believe. It is the tf281 model

  3. #3Diesel Dave2023-03-29 15:29

    The ”H” in HF285 means the engine installation is designed to include an air to air intercooler. I took (2) screenshots from the Deere engine build data site using your provided serial number. The HF285 is rated at 80 HP at 2800 rpm. . From what I can find a TF281 genset engine (Fixed at 1800 rpm) is only about 50 HP. .

  4. #4Birken Vogt2023-03-29 15:45

    I have records of a 4024HF285 on a customer genset. So it looks like that arrangement could work for you. I don't know if the ECM would need adjustments or what. It has to somehow be fixed at 1800 RPM.

  5. #5penmur772023-03-29 15:52

    So that engine will be a little shy of the power needed for the 6" pump. I appreciate the information, Thank you