Guys, If this has been posted, I missed it searching, so a link would be appreciated. If not, I have a 1990 580K 2 wheel drive. I have the opportunity to purchase a complete 4 x 4 set up off a same year machine being parted out. I know the frames were the same and believe the front end would be an easy swap. My frame has the skid plate mounts, etc. Will the transmission connection be a direct bolt up? The doner machine is a couple hours away, so I can't just put them side by side. Thanks for any insight.
Is this a k or a superk? does your 4 speed shifter come up through the floor, or is it mounted to the right fender?
Shifter mounted to the right fender on mine which I believe is a phase 3. Can't remember where his is, might be through the floor which would make his a phase 1 correct? His was burnt (exposure fire) when his shop burned so the cab is a melted mess. I picked up a door and a few other parts I needed and looked at the front end, skid plate, etc but machine was low to the ground (no air in rear tires) so I couldn't get under it. He was going to lift it with his other machine in a few weeks when we have time to take a better look at it. If the shifter is in a different location, then I'm guessing it might be a different transmission? Front end and skid plate look like a direct bolt (didn't take measurements, just good guess).
Get a parts book and dig in for several evenings of comparison. I have the sense the transfer case bolts up, but dozens of other parts will be needed. I have a 1988 model, and parts book from that era if it helps any. This is NOT a small job. Consider tire chains instead. A good set of log skidder chains will amaze you at the traction they afford. Running on pavement is not an option.
Phase 1 and Phase 3 are not even similar in drivetrain. If both of them are 3s, most everything is the same from 4x4 to 4x2. There is no transfer case. I am 90% sure that all you have to do is change the cover and sliding gear on the front of the transaxle. The part I am 90% sure of is that you can do this without opening the transaxle.
Thanks for the insight guys. Willie B, I tried to see if I could use my old Hough h-30 chains this winter, no go as they fit around the back of the tire and clearance to the frame was an issue. I agree that a proper fitting set would help greatly. I do need to make this a snow machine too, we have a quarter mile long private road to keep open. Mitch504, I'm 90% sure your 90% right...hehe don't try to do the math! Looking at my transaxle, it would appear the cover plate below the driveshaft unbolts and the 4x4 gearing attaches. I clearly have to see if the donor is a phase 3. I'll let you guys know how it goes if I proceed.
Whatever phase mine is, I'm surprised how many variations in parts there were in a very few years. The parts book is either wrong, or my hoe came from a machine I never suspected. I took it off a 1988 machine very close in serial number to mine, but parts don't agree with either machine serial number.