Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting CY to tons

Copenhagen ยท 2007-09-17 20:51

I learned to do most of my estimating using cubic yards as my measurements. It seems now that I have to convert everything to tons. Does anyone have any good websites or books that list the weights of materials like rock, soil, structural fill, etc?

Replies5
  1. #1Cat4202007-09-17 21:05

    Here's a small list I have saved. I'm sure there must be a big book to though. Click Here to Download in Word Format

  2. #2Downeast Digger2007-09-18 09:38

    "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover has great tables for this kind of thing. Plus lots of other handy info.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2007-09-18 09:47

    Another great source is the tables in the back of the Cat Performance Handbook. Get any year, they all have it, also things like wood, trash, concrete pipe, and a multitude of others. Also they have good estimating methods.

  4. #4Orchard Ex2007-09-18 19:46

    Here's one I found on the web. It's in lbs/cu ft so you still have to convert to tons/cu yrd. Really handy when I haul all those loads of pulverized bones, chloroform or freshly fallen snow...:beatsme

  5. #5Countryboy2007-09-18 21:57

    Welcome to HEF Downeast Digger! :drinkup