Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting pc200-6 to air start??

mathuranatha ยท 2009-02-05 07:29

G'day ,we have got an old beat up pc200-6 just for use on our steep bush block.Sometimes not used for a month or two at a time .The batteries are often dead and its often up in the bush so we were wondering about the feasibility and cost of converting to a compressed air starter .Anyone know of it being done ? Thanks -Mat

Replies5
  1. #1landrvrnut222009-02-05 09:26

    How about just a battery isolation switch? Cut the batteries off from the low draw of the electronics, and they should hold a charge for a month or two.

  2. #2Iron Horse2009-02-06 21:48

    New batteries and a Solar panel to keep them charged . With air start you would need to adapt a starter off a Mack etc. , fit a compressor , resovoir tank , hoses and valves and if anything leaks your back in the same boat .

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2009-02-06 23:07

    A small, inexpensive solar trickle charger and a battery isolation switch should do the trick. I have one on a D-5M and it still has the original battery after almost 10 years.

  4. #4Haul-Pak2009-02-06 23:11

    Yeah I agree, You would still need to charge the air tank when you start the machine, Less hassle to jump the thing than use a compressor. Go with a solar panel or just pull a battery lead when not in use.

  5. #5DarrylMueller2009-02-07 12:15

    I would go with the solar charger. I had a Mack B61 with air starter never had a problem but when it got cold in Pennsylvania I would pre-heat the engine for several hours because you only had 1 shot and didn't want to run out of air. At least the Komatsu are easy starters. Good Luck.