I own a 333G. I do alot of fence row clearing in the most ridiculous hills rocky terrain in the Missouri ozarks hills do alot of fence row clearing and post driving with my machine. My rubber tracks look poor after 250 hours. Best dealer support luck I have is through john deere, I know alot of ya all anit a fan of john deere. I was looking at a cat ctl with steel tracks and was hoping to find out on a 299D are the drive moter the same on a steel tracks and rubber track machine ??? If they're the same. I wonder if the cat undercarriage for steel tracks are the same bolt pattern n size for sprocket and same size pins etc for rollers and idler as a rubber track. I did look at a aftermarket steel tracks for ctl I was not to impressed with that set up look like it's to grabby. I want to have street pads with short grousers on it n not be so grabby turning etc. Will be running a 84" brush cutter here before long.
I've also wondered about converting to steel.
Thoughts????
https://rubbertracksamerica.com/collections/steel-tracks/Steel-Tracks
Those are quite pricey for what they look like. I wonder how much wear one can get out of a set? The only steel tracked machine I have seen in person was this 299 at the local Rental Store. The UC was just a mini dozer chain and triple grouser pad.
That's what I was thinking about putting on my deere machine. Drive moter is my biggest concern
I think those chains on that 299 are Berco, not sure.
fwiw I believe i would do some comparing. fact equipted as opposed to diy
Ya alot of phone calls are gonna have to be made n a trip to the track shop that specializes in undercarriage, transmission anything to do with dozers anf crawler loaders
Did you ever get a set of steel tracks?