Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I determine if I need new sprockets on my CTL?

jimpad ยท 2018-08-16 17:00

Blew a track and don't really want to buy a new sprocket too but if i have to I will. How do I know if I need a new sprocket?

Replies11
  1. #1Ronsii2018-08-16 17:06

    Got any pics of the sprocket?

  2. #2jimpad2018-08-16 17:08

    I'll get some.

  3. #3jimpad2018-08-16 18:07
  4. #4DIYDAVE2018-08-16 20:52

    What loader is it? They don't look very worn, to me, no hooking, or cracking...

  5. #5jimpad2018-08-16 22:00

    It's a takeuchi TL 140

  6. #6Ronsii2018-08-16 23:57

    I've ran the tracks off a Tak like that before but there was a lot of steel cable showing... could be you have other issues with maybe the tensioner or other rollers??? what kind of dirt were you in or was this just in a flat turn?

  7. #7jimpad2018-08-17 06:53

    Not too bad a ground compared to what I'm usually on. Tensioner seems too be fine as it held for couple days after i put track back on. Problem was machine came down on track in the rear and cut through the rubber and cords which then shortly failed after couple days use. All rollers are free. What do ya'll think about changing sprockets with other side? I can feel a little ridge on the drive side of the sprocket.

  8. #82772018-08-26 18:03

    Midwest equipment gave me this gauge when I ordered new tracks. They may sell you one for a couple of bucks. Worth a try.

  9. #9DIYDAVE2018-08-26 20:43

    Most definitely the way to tell, a gauge don't lie...

  10. #10catman132018-08-26 23:40

    if you are putting new tracks I would put new sprockets , so they wear together and don't cause extra wear on new tracks

  11. #11hosspuller2018-08-27 14:54

    Interesting read for metal tracks... Info on sprockets too. https://www.constructionequipment.com/read-wear-clues-save-track-hassles