Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cool old truck

oldtanker ยท 2014-07-22 00:06

A friend of mine inherited what we now think is a 1926 Chevy truck. His grandfather parked it in the shed where the picture was taken in 1967 right before he passed away and the truck hasn't moved sense. The missing door in in the bed. After doing a little research we found out that a lot of farmers removed the doors from trucks to save time during harvest. I always wondered why you was so many drivers doors at farm auctions. The guys put them in a shed, then passed on and their kids took over, junked out the truck and never cleaned out the shed. Now that they are gone and their kids are only interested in selling everything off and going back to the lives where ever that might be. Rick

Replies17
  1. #1Pixie2014-07-26 19:58

    Thanks for the pictures. That Is cool !! Imagine driving on wooden spoked wheels !!!

  2. #2oldtanker2014-07-26 21:27

    He did find the radiator shroud and grill. Difently a Chevy but a old truck guy says he things it's about a 1923. Rick

  3. #3td25c2014-07-26 21:49

    That is a nice find oldtanker . Be a fun restoration project . Almost reminds me of John's lumber truck on The Waltons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waltons Although I think it was a late 1920's Ford . Cool trucks !

  4. #4old-iron-habit2014-07-26 22:15

    Looks like a overhead valve engine. I know they had them in Chevys in 32. Anybody know when they started with the overhead valve?

  5. #5RMXR2014-07-26 22:20

    Definitely a Chev. I'd say a '29/30 given the shapes of the headlight buckets and the crowns of the front mudguards (fenders). These were both more square on the pre-'27s. Chev tended to run equipment from the previous year's cars on the trucks. Engine is what was used in the '28 cars and, I think the '29 and '30 trucks. It is similar to the '27 car engines but the cylinder head has a thermostat housing at the front that the '27 did not have, and the plug wires go through the valve cover rather than over it as on the '27 and earlier. The exhaust outlet on the right hand side of the cylinder head was a single port up to '27 and two outlets from '28. From '28 the pushrods, again on the right side of the engine, had a cover over them. '27 and before were exposed. It's not a F*rd as they were still running side-valve engines at this time and Chev was running overhead valves as in the photos.

  6. #6grandpa2014-07-26 22:33

    Get her all fixed up old Tanker and I'll race you with my 1926 International Six Speed Special!!

  7. #7mitch5042014-07-26 23:32

    Hey grandpa, that's a nice old truck! Did you buy it new?

  8. #8RMXR2014-07-27 00:16

    For comparison, here are a couple of photos of my '27 car engine:

  9. #9oldtanker2014-07-27 02:16

    I ain't fixing it. Ain't mine. Good friend inherited it. If it were mine I'd restore it. I think he's going to sell it. I don't like that but he has no interest in it. He did find the radiator shroud and grill. So it's complete (did I mention that the door is there, just not installed). Right now I just don't have the time or I'd buy it. Jim is a good guy but he has to look at both ends of a screw driver to figure out which end goes in his hand. No mechanical understanding at all. He'd have to hire out a restoration and he just doesn't have the income to support that. I just posted the pictures I took cause it's a cool old truck and really not In too bad of shape. The fact that the wooden spoke wheels are they and intact is amazing. Bet you really liked parking the mules and wagon in favor of that binder ! What did you have to pay for it new :wink2? Rick

  10. #10oldtanker2014-07-27 02:22

    Guy that looked it over said that Chevy went to a bigger engine for the trucks in 27 or 28. He claims to know these things and I really don't know. I do know it's old. Rick

  11. #11grandpa2014-07-27 08:27

    Yes Mitch,,, I bought it when I was 40.

  12. #12nickbowers2014-07-27 08:46

    Awesome project truck

  13. #13old-iron-habit2014-07-27 11:07

    And then for the next 40 years didn't you load it by hand?

  14. #14grandpa2014-07-27 18:25

    I did...... uphill both ways!!!

  15. #15Old Doug2014-07-27 20:05

    Nice truck i wonder if it was alot better than the others.I got a 53 chevy 1ton from a farm i cleaned up 3 weeks ago.I hadnt looked at it until i went to load it up with the rest of the scrap. After the trees were cut around it i couldnt belive how good it was so its seting at my place now.

  16. #16Moonlite2014-08-07 23:58

    Saw one last week at an old feed store. Left door was missing. Asked where it was old man said it was missing when he got it .

  17. #17bauerjlb2014-10-05 08:33

    I had a 1928 IH Six Speed Special in similar condition. Sold it 20 years ago. One of my more regrettable sales.