Yair . . . A few shots of a the low speed engines being decommissioned/removed from Karumba powerhouse. They were replaced with 149 series GM's . . . of which I have no pictures.
Yair . . . A few shots of a the low speed engines being decommissioned/removed from Karumba powerhouse. They were replaced with 149 series GM's . . . of which I have no pictures. View attachment 122437 View attachment 122438
Yair . . . Hoo Boy . . . I screwed up big time. Two threads wrong pictures and I can't seem to fix it . . . I'm outa here. Cheers. I merged the two threads for you, Scrub. It makes a little better sense now. D242j
Yair . . . Sorry folks I screwed up, wrong pictures. The top one is I got her "on line" and we got power . . . just checking the meters. The bottom one is I'm off to the pub now . . . actually it was called the "animal bar". Cheers.
Ah...........ha, the good old Mirrlees Blacksmoke......... They're too small to be K Majors. What model were they Scrub..?
Booleroo Steam and Traction Preservation Society have an operational Mirlees in their collection. http://www.booleroosteamandtraction.org.au/
A brief history of Mirrlees here .................. http://www.enginemuseum.org/mrindex.html Amazing the company was founded 175 years ago.
Yair . . . Thanks Mr Moderator. I dunno what happened but the posting all went south big time. Nige . I think they were TLs . There were two five cylinder and one straight eight Mirrlees all naturally aspirated, and the eight cylinder Lister-Blackstone and the six cylinder English Electric were turboed. I knew nothing about such engines and got thrown in at the deep end when the Chief Engineer spat the dummy and quit. Fortunately they had comprehensive repair manuals and documentation and I educated myself. By that stage I had scraped a few propeller bores which was a help as the first thing I found was that a couple of big ends were right on the limits and breaking up to boot . . . thick wall slippers that had to be fitted to the journal. All the unfamiliar stuff was a culture shock . . . the big end detaching from the conrod and the stroke adjustable with shims . . . checking piston/head clearance with soft lead gauges . . . measuring crankshaft deflections, and so it went. Anyway I muddled through and kept the lights on for about five years and then they put in the GMs and there were no jobs for engine drivers any more as the system was one of the early card controlled installations. I must say though that it worked pretty well right up until I finished I think in '81. Cheers.
I must say, that uniform could stand an oil change!
Na its like coveralls in the winter the more oil and grease the better they shed water
LOL, back when I wore them six days a week, I would change my coveralls when they got shiny from the grease and rubbed in dirt! Thanks for the flashback....