Hey all its me again. Had to change a coolant line on my 89 D4H and a guy told me i should change the coolant filter too so i was just wondering if anyone knew where it was or if it even has one. Its a series 2 also. I have changed the oil in it so i know where the oil filter is and i also changed the fuel filter at the hand primer. I believe i also found another fuel filter on the other side of the motor. I just cant find one for the coolant. Any ideas??
Good Morning , D4H does not have one
As above. Make sure you use a good quality coolant, if you're not sure what was in it then now's the time to drain, flush, and refill with something decent. A lot of the new-generation extended life coolants like Mobil ELC, Chevron Delo ELC, etc, are all good. Make sure whatever you buy meets Cat EC-1 specification.
I gues that would explain why i couldnt find it lol. I am kinda disappointed in the cat dealer in my area. They sold me a coolant filter yesterday( before i got on here and posted). They shoulda known it didnt have one! anyway thanks again! im glad i didnt take the plastic film off this filter! I will be returning it today.
I will definately drain it cause i have no clue wat is in it. So im guessing the full strength antifreeze at the local auto parts store isnt a good idea??
nothing wrong with the full strength coolant from your auto parts store, be sure it is for diesel engines and/or it has the ec-1 spec, usually they all do, it needs cut 50/50 unless you have real horrible drinking water there is no need to pay for already diluted anti-freeze/coolant. just a side note, I was taught in diesel mechanic school to change the t-stat anytime the cooling system was opened, I don't always follow this bit of advice but just a thought...........theironoracle
Drain it hot, immediately after using it. Fill with distilled water, or rainwater, use it an hour (watch like a hawk), drain it immediately again, repeat until the water comes out without any gunk. Either use what Nige tells you, or be prepared to do some reading on antifreeze if you consider using anything else.
Delmer, Thanks for the vote of confidence .....! Ironoracle. Good advice about the thermostat, an easy change if the coolant is drained. BTW most of the latest generation ELC (organic acid technology) coolants come pre-mixed 50/50 with distilled water and require no further blending. This mix will give you frost protection down to -35DegC (-30DegF), that's way more than the OP will ever need in his neck of the woods. I'm not aware of any ELC-type coolants out there that are concentrated but if anyone finds such an animal then it needs to be cut 50/50 with distilled or de-ionized water - same sort of thing as you would get for topping up battery acid. I prefer the pre-mixed TBH, it saves a lot of messing.
I want to thank you all for your input. It is greatly apprciated. I am gona drain the whole system and change the stat. Is there any kind of lubricant or conditioner i need to add to the coolant system or do i just need to make sure it has the ec-1 spec? Sorry to ask so many questions but im the type of guy who wants to do it right and not fluck anything up! lol Thanks again!!
As stated above, time spent flushing the cooling system is NEVER time wasted. When you think it's clean, go back and clean it some more. Get the system as clean as possible then fill it with a good quality 50/50 premixed coolant that meets EC-1 spec. Sit back, and enjoy a beer.