Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Coolant leak

Steve111 ยท 2019-08-06 15:18

Hey guys. My case 580k just started leaking coolant from that bottom weeping hole under the water pump. I assume that means the pump is no good. Started after sitting for a day. Wasn't even being used. Do I have to take the radiator out to replace this or can I just do it without removing a bunch of stuff? Thanks guys

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2019-08-06 16:58

    Replacing the water pump is an easy job. Drop the fanbelt Remove the belt tensioner to give some work space Remove the 2 x water pump retaining bolts Remove the pump Clean the sealing surface on the engine block Fit the new pump; tensioner; belt Drink beer Should have it done in 10-15mins

  2. #2Steve1112019-08-06 17:02

    Perfect. I figured so much. I finally ordered the full service manual. Seems like every time I use this machine for a few hours another issue comes up. It must have been sitting for years. Every seal is shot in this thing. I replace one and then another blows out. When I replace them they just fall right apart. They must have been in there for 15 plus years.

  3. #3caver2019-10-14 22:10

    I just had the same problem. It had sat for about 5 weeks and I had been running it for about 10 minutes trying to dig an Oak stump out. Hmmm what's the chemical smell? It sorta smells like glycol but not quite. I look at the thermostat and it's beyond where it normally runs. No sings of leaking but top of radiator dry. I go over yesterday to my property and pour about 2 gallons in when it starts pouring out from somewhere. I finally see it's the water pump shaft. Well there went about $16 bucks in coolant on the ground. Replacement pump should be here in a couple days.

  4. #4Steve1112019-10-15 04:43

    Yup same issue for me. Nice easy fix.