My new machine arrived this week. I've only put 3 hours on it and I found that 2 freeze plugs are seeping coolant. Anybody know what would cause this on a brand new engine? Thanks, -john
Crappy workmanship on assembly??. I'd be asking that question of the dealer while he's fixing it.
Being that it is brand new, most likely its from faulty installation.
They look to be seated squarely and there's no obvious nicks or anything on the edges, but it's enough of a leak you can watch it ooze past the plugs Dealer's coming to get it next week to replace the plugs. -john
I would also have them do a full inspection, while they have it, for any other QC issues......on their dime of course. Unfortunately I know the feeling of buying something new and having problems right off the bat.....not equipment, but its still the same feeling. Let us know how things are handled. Good Luck.
Core plugs? (Thats we call them and they Press into the block) Run the machine for a bit. I've had the same problem on freshly rebuilt and new motors. The problem normally heals itself after a good run~In. The heat will soon seal them up a treat. On the other hand, If your not talking about the core plugs then ....... :beatsme :beatsme Ross
Yeah, the plugs pressed into the side of the block. They're about 1.5" or so in diameter on this engine. I wondered if they'd seal up on their own. I know Ford puts leak seal in some of their trucks from the factory. I'll put some hours on it this weekend and see how it does. Thanks, -john
Freeze Plugs, Core Plugs, Welch Plugs whatever John, some years back I think it was Daimler/Chrysler produced some engines which had imperial dimension in the block manufacturer and metric equivalent plugs sourced from Asia...they ended up being more than a few thou out of spec somewhere and about 400 or 500 engines went out the door before they got on top of it....they all leaked. On another occaision MTU had a bad run on their 2000 series engines with some badly manufacturered plugs as did some engine re-manufacturer's down under with 92 Series GM's. Inclusion of machining swarth, blasting medium and other contaminants also produces the odd failure. At when stage, when all those good old coolants were found to be killing us all and they changed to much "safer" products cadmium plate plugs reacted poorly with the coolant and they corroded out in a few hundred hours.
Seeping core plugs are not uncommon in brand new equipment, along with seeps from other things like gaskets, coolant and hydraulic hoses, etc. Most of these will seal up shortly, however, as always, you need to keep an eye on them to see if they continue or get worse. Wagners guys are pretty good (I used to be one) and if there is a problem, they along with Cat will get to the bottom of it quickly. Don't let them off the warranty hook if, as I say, the seeping stays fresh or becomes a severe leak. Good Luck!
Must have had a new guy on the line the day mine was built. Looking closer, it looks like he whacked on the edges a bit to seat the plug ointhead
Frost/freeze or core plugs? Those marks look suspicious... Is it possible someone pulled them out to try and install a block heater at the dealer?
There is a block heater, but it's installed in a different port. And there's no coolant leaking from that port. If you look close you can also see RTV on the leaky plug. -john
Update The dealer picked up my skid and is replacing the plugs today. I've been impressed with their (Wagner) service. No hemming and hawing; they just came it got it and will bring it back tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I'll be talking to the service manager about what he thinks happened. At this point, why just those 2 plugs leak is a mystery. There are several more plugs in the block and they are all bone dry. If the 2 leakers were removed for some reason it's not clear why. -john
From bad to worse I got my machine back today and the freeze plugs looked good. I ran the machine for two hours, took a look at the engine and found oil all over the place. It's coming from between the starter and the housing the starter mounts to. Means there's *LOTS* of oil coming from somewhere - probably the rear main. I told my salesman and the service manager I think it's time for a crate engine and they agreed. I have no confidence in the engine that's on it. -john
That's a bummer, we haven't had any serious issues with our Cat 216. Well, we did have an issue where it would overheat, apparently the cooling system would create an air bubble and cavitate, but that was fixed well over 2 1/2 years ago and we haven't had trouble since.