Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ct 246 and 246B skid steer difference?

nitrox2595 ยท 2007-10-07 19:43

Whats the difference between a CAT 246 and 246b skid steer? Are all the parts interchangeable?

Replies6
  1. #1Tigerotor77W2007-10-07 20:01

    No... not all the parts are interchangeable. Squizzy would be a good resource for this... I think he went from a 226 to a 248B. Or maybe he went from a 226B to a 248B. But the B-series got a different engine, slightly reworked hydraulics (I think), and an updated cab, mostly. From a performance standpoint, they're more or less equivalent; the upgrade was relatively minor and was mostly aimed at addressing the cab and engine.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2007-10-07 20:09

    What Tiger said. I went 226 to 246B and now 248B. The engine/hydraulic pump(s) and cab are upgraded, mainly the engine. Attachments are interchangeable of course and I don't think the frame changed too much. They actually aren't a lot different to look at but the surgery was sufficient enough that most parts will not be interchangeable.

  3. #3nitrox25952007-10-07 21:40

    can an ecm from one machine be used in another? Does anyone know if the ecm can be jumped?

  4. #4Tigerotor77W2007-10-08 00:41

    Not sure about your first question... for the second, do you mean whether the software in one can be flashed to the ECM of another?

  5. #5Squizzy246B2007-10-08 04:41

    I'm almost 100% that the first B series ECM's could not have the PLC programming flashed...and therefore could not be changed to another engine. Later, more recent of the B series may be different. The part No's for my mates new 226B with the Perkapillar engine is different than the ECM in my 248B...but I guess that is to be expected....you need one of the Cat guys to answer this properly.

  6. #6nitrox25952007-10-08 20:52

    yes, can one machine's ecm be swapped to another without flashing the computer?