Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

correct torque for lug nuts?

ValleyFirewood ยท 2013-12-05 18:12

What is the correct torque spec for lug nuts on an S250? I'd imagine same for most other models as well. I am finding everything from 120 ft lbs to 320 ft lbs! Noticed something in the snow today and it was a lug nut with part of a stud.... From the Bobcat. Right rear wheel had several loose nuts,(could spin by hand) but some where still at 150 ft/lbs. Checked all others and they were fine. Very odd !

Replies5
  1. #1durallymax2013-12-06 11:17

    Book should show but a lot of lugs that size are 120-160ft-lb

  2. #2Nige2013-12-06 12:40

    I've seen cases before where if a wheel was mounted and had dirt/mud on the back side that the lug nuts would be initially tight but as things moved a tad and the mud cracked off some but maybe not all of the lug nuts would loosen. Try pulling the wheel off and take a look at the back side to see whether it is clean or not.

  3. #3ValleyFirewood2013-12-06 13:33

    The book doesn't say, at least not that I can find. Nige, the wheels were all put on at the same time in my garage with the machine on cribbing. I painted the hubs, so they were all clean. That was this summer. It seemed like the lugs JUST loosened up over the last few days. I'd almost blame that someone was screwing with it, but the chance of that is near impossible. I'm quite positive I had torqued the lugs, just can't remember to what. I checked them all and at 150 ft/lbs they just barely turned other than that one wheel.

  4. #4ValleyFirewood2013-12-12 00:21

    Checked them again after running the machine a few days and they are staying tight. I tried to knock out the broken stud so I could get a new one and I can't get it out. They are press in correct?

  5. #5durallymax2013-12-15 14:28

    Should be pressed in, air hammer works wonders if not though a sledge works if you have good aim. If the stud is broken it is recommended you replace the one directly across from it as it took the most stress when the other one broke. If more than one breaks its recommended to replace them all. Now this is from my TIA training for on highway trucks, Skid steers are not a big deal so I wouldn't worry too much, up to you though.