Have any of you seen corrosion on equipment to this extent? This was on a 744H in a fertilizer by-product plant. As you can see the machine has 12K hours on it and was getting a re-life. Every bolt and pin on the machine had to be torched out. The starter fell off while the battery cable was being disconnected!!
more pictures.....
My guess would be pot ash?
Is it worth it to do that machine over?
That was my first thought also. I work in the salt water a lot and there comes a time when you just got to let it go.:waving
well i can clearly see the problem from you pics. it was a machine serviced by james river. that explains all. where did you get those pics? that dealer emblem looks similar to one near me.
I had a truck burn up on me and I took the money instead of doing it over because no matter what you'll never get it back to the way it was. Some wire will be off a little, the downtime, like you said sometimes its worth it just to get a new one.
Bigblueox, Why do you say this? All of my experiences with JR have been great and I generally think they do a super job of taking care of customers. Have you had a bad experience yourself or are your comments based on what you have heard second hand? These were taken in Ashland VA.
Machines that work in fertilizer plants or in salt-water (brine) environments often look like this. I had to assemble a Cat 992C in Colorado that Kiewit brought in from some place in New Foundland where it had been stored on a dock over the ocean for three years. Took me and a helper over a month to assemble as every bolt hole had to be tapped out and cleaned, and every bolt not already attached had to be replaced as the loose bolts and nuts were all ruined by salt water corrosion. Most of the pins had to be replaced for the same reason and the pins bores all needed lots of sanding and cleaning. Finally got it together and it ran about a month, then had to disassemble most of it again and take it into town shop for a complete wiring and instrument replacement. Salt water corrosion in every wire in every harness. I worked on a Hough 65 in a Gilsonite plant that also had to have all the wiring replaced. Gilsonite dust over the years had accumulated on and in the machine, melted down into solid gobs everywhere, and shorted out the electrical system just about everywhere you could imagine. I believe that was the dirtiest job I ever did. I had the throw my clothes away as they wouldn't wash out clean, and my tools, extension cords, air hoses, even my service truck seat remained dirty black for months, years even. It took six months for the black to work it's way out of my skin. Gilsonite, is a kind of Pitch-like petroleum that is mined in western Colorado and eastern Utah. Refined, it gives up diesel fuel, kerosene, and gasolene. Also a hell of a lot of very pure carbon black. It is an excellent conductor of electricity. It took me a full day just to get the starter off the engine, couldn't even see it when I started. Machines that work in feed lot manure ponds also get mucked up pretty bad.
yes i have had a bad experience with them. My family leased a tractor from them what was delivered was not was settled on and the support service thereafter was neglible at best. out of desperation we kept it through the lease but since then we have not used JR or John Deere. turns out a dealership 200 miles away in Pa is easier to deal with. I'm sorry i'll never deal with JR again.