hi fellas, wondering if anyone can suggest a few books on the art of moving dirt i will need to put in a dam,cut a hilltop road,clear some trees,etc so wouldn't mind reading up on the theories while i have the time,before tackling the job ps i won't be using state of the art machinery(unless someone donates it ) so it doesn't have to be a new volume cheers:drinkup
One of my favorites is Moving the Earth by Herbert L. Nichols Jr. I've got the edition that's written from an early sixties frame of reference- lots of pictures of weird equipment that went the way of the dodo bird.
Right on 72V! "Moving The Earth" was my textbook in 1964 when I started the coursework for equipment operation at the International School of Heavy Equipment Operation at Charlotte, North Carolina. The book was considered the best "how-to" manual on operation and maintenance for many, many years, mine even had my name embossed on the front cover. Any Cat Performence Handbook is also a good read with all the reference material in the back sections. If one could get their hands on the Navy training manuals for equipment operators, they are also some great how-to books. Here are some others, all available on Amazon.com: 1. Moving the Earth, 5th Edition by Herbert L. Nichols and David A. Day (Hardcover - Mar 28, 2005) Buy new: $125.00-$98.75 31 Used & new from $85.91. 2. Estimating Excavation by Deryl Burch (Paperback - Jul 1997) Buy new: $39.50-$26.07 23 Used & new from $25.94. 3. Excavation and Grading Handbook by Nick Capachi (Paperback - Nov 1987) 15 Used & new from $22.47. 4. Excavation & Grading Handbook with CDROM by Nick Capachi and John Capachi (Paperback - Oct 2006) Buy new: $42.00 $27.72 15 Used & new from $21.95. 5. Construction Planning, Equipment and Methods by R.L. Peurifoy and Clifford J Schexnayder (Hardcover - Oct 26, 2007) Buy new: $112.82 2 Used & new from $112.82.
Back in the 8th grade, I would ride my bike to the College Of The Desert library every now and then. They had a copy of "Moving The Earth" which I checked out and read front to back. Yeah, I was kind of warped as a kid. I also have a copy of the Caterpillar Performance Handbook 24th edition which I refer to all the time. I'm hoping Santa might get me their latest edition.
thanks fellas got moving the earth on order
so what kind of stuff is in the cat performence hand book?the job i currently have i do not do alot of excavation but from time to time we do some digging. would this be worth having being that i have not done much excavation.
Since none of us have X-Ray vision...and we might not be looking at dirt if we did.....the CP Handbook contains most of the information you need for estimating...save what you hit in the ground...it can't cover that. If you are full time estimating its invaluable because its always time that screws you...time is money. If you are not doing much estimating then some sections are a good read anyway, such as calculating volumes etc. The handbook is leaned toward the larger site operations.
thanks for the info i think ill look into the other books.
I also have the Grading and Excavation Handbook that Surfer Joe mentions. It is a great reference book.