I'm thinking about buying an older (sub $12K) smaller (2yd) loader. International or Dresser 510, 520 and 530's seem to fit the budget, but it seem like a lot of them either have or will have transmission issues. Any guesses on what some typical major repair costs on these run or how much a rebuilt trans might be? Are parts still available for these machines? If repairs are not too complex (lots of special tools etc) I would attempt it, otherwise go the rebuilt and install it route. The transmissions probably changed over the years (1980-199?) and vary by models; I am looking for a guess of cost ranges for typical issues beyond simple clogged filters/cracked suction pipes etc to hopefully avoid $12K buying something that needs/will need a $15K? transmission to make it into a $13,000 machine.
It's been more than twenty years since I put hands on one those boxes. If they are still a countershaft transmission, it is harder to remove and reinstall than it is to rebuild. No special tools needed. Cost and availability of parts is an unknown. Komatsu dealers are the people who handle them. Contact them for info on exchange units. Figure two people for day to remove it from the machine and two people two days to reinstall. Probably one guy for three days to rebuild. That figures out around 72 hours. Apply your labor rate and go from there.
Check with General Gear for parts FWD
Thanks!
I found a rebuilder in Houston that has the parts to rebuild my Allison transmission, even though Allison no longer has them. The company is Copeland International.