Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L90E No forward gears

Brett8681 · 2022-02-10 23:55

Hi, I have a Volvo L90E with no forward gears at the stalk. Forward gears work from the R/H arm rest switch. I get 24v from the stalk to the I-ECU, but no confirmation on the display and no gears. I have also checked power and resistance at all of the shift solenoids and they check out. Could I possibly have a bad I-ECU? Can I swap an I-ECU from an L60E into an L90E to confirm the fault or are they different? Thanks!

Replies7
  1. #1Brett86812022-02-11 02:54

    Update - I swapped out the I-ECU from the L90E to the L60E after carefully checking the plugs and part numbers and confirmed that the L90E has a faulty I-ECU. I pulled the module apart to see if anything was burnt out or solder traces broken but couldn’t find anything. Will order a replacement. Hope this helps someone else.

  2. #2James Sorochan2022-02-11 10:48

    How much do the I-ECU's cost. Just curious incase mine fails on my L-90C.

  3. #3zlssefi2022-02-12 18:15

    Is there any chance that your fnr shifter is no good or has a bad cpnnection? I have an l180 which the shifter went bad and would randomly not select gears yet the fnr switch would shft the trans perfectly.

  4. #4James Sorochan2022-02-12 18:19

    zlssefi. I think it's possible. I have been having issues with mine periodically not working especially when shifting in reverse.

  5. #5Brett86812022-02-13 21:33

    I checked the voltage between the stalk shifter and the I-ECU for the F & R and it was all good, plus wiggle test to check for breakages or poor connections. The dealer has quoted AU$4,000 to replace & reprogram.

  6. #6funwithfuel2022-02-18 10:21

    Please see attached file. SA=FWD SB=1st SC=2nd SD=REV SE=4th SF=3rd So typically you'll lose solenoid SC or SA since you spend more time in fwd and it always starts in 2nd whether going fwd or rev. Try swapping the fwd solenoid with 4th. Just the magnets, leave the stems. See if that doesn't make a big difference before pulling the trigger on an I-ECU

  7. #7James Sorochan2022-07-19 14:40

    I know this is much latter on. On my L90C the micro switches in the shifter were failing. I ordered some replacements and sauldered them in. They were around $18/each. Seems to be fixed for now.