Hi Y'all. I am new here, but enjoy the forum. I'm going to go look at a Case 850G Long Track with a professional appraiser next Thursday. The current owner said the rails and sprockets were replaced. The pads look worn from the pictures and the current owner said he thought they should be replaced if the dozer is going to be put to hard work. If I had to replace the pads, about what range of money are we talking? All I need is ballpark for now. Any ideas?
40-70 dollars a pad
Ouch. I haven't counted pads, but would guess it would be about $3,400 or so. Thank you for the information.
That is just a guess but yes it is not cheap
178445A1 part number for 18 inch 76 of them you can get these after market
You can weld new grouser bars on old pads to save money.
If you weld them yourself you can save some money but if you have to hire it out it is not cost effective
Replace them with aftermarket, and use new bolts and nuts.
It's pretty common to use grouser stock to replace grousers. Here I can buy manganese steel grouser stock. the process would be pretty straightforward except grousers are worn most on the corners. it is necessary to cut them even, or fill the gap on the corner. I'd suggest 7018 stick, or Dual Shield wire to weld them on. Lots of hours, lots of electricity, and gas, and filler. Grouser stock is not a big cost.
Some suppliers actually offer grouser stock that is curved at the ends to take account of that particular situation. Dura-Tuff is my particular favourite. https://www.duratuff.com/easy-order.php
That is very good news! are they available on this side of the pond (Left) or is there a source here (USA).
Duratuff are located in Salt Lake City UT Willie. Contact details are on the link I posted above. the curved bar is slightly more expensive than straight bar but if your time is money it can be cost-effective overall. I have no idea if there is any company on the East Coast that supply a similar product. I've had experience of a number of brands of grouser bar over the years and out of all of them Duratuff are the only one I would use again. At one time Duratuff was the brand that was approved by Cat for use by any dealer who offered regrousering services, I'm not sure if that still is the case.