Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Counterbore cutting SW WA

Akmc5 ยท 2020-12-27 19:21

Does anybody have a recommendation for someone (someone you'd trust with your money) who can come to my shop and cut counterbores? Engine is a 3406 and we're in the Centralia WA area. Not sure if I need it yet as I haven't tore the engine down yet but I'm just trying to get some leads incase I need to get it done. Thanks

Replies26
  1. #1JPV2020-12-27 19:41

    I would call NC and see what they charge to send someone out from the machine shop. We had Peterson send a guy to Cathlamet from Portland and it wasn't too bad for cost and the job was done right.

  2. #2Akmc52020-12-27 19:56

    yeah....I'm going to reach out to them tomorrow...I've had them work on some of my equipment before but I feel like sometimes there's a little too much trying to "upsell". Just looking for other options. They always say "get three bids", right?

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-12-27 20:09

    Or you might try calling B&G Machine Seattle, they might know a reputable shop in your area. It takes Kent Moore or Monaco tooling which is the most common, but it's the man operating it. B&G 206-767-6071.

  4. #4Coaldust2020-12-27 23:56

    +1 for B&G Machine. I have great luck with them.

  5. #5Akmc52020-12-28 00:02

    Looks like B&G got bought in 2013......now its H-E Parts International. Is this the same outfit that you gents are talking about?

  6. #6Coaldust2020-12-28 00:51

    Yes it is.

  7. #7Bluox2020-12-28 03:08

    If you don't find someone .My buddy cuts blocks and we're just a little south of you so if you PM me your phone number I will give it to him. Bob

  8. #8Akmc52020-12-28 11:37

    B&G and NC Chehalis only do it if you bring it to their shop. Not enough experienced field techs.

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-12-28 13:04

    Not surprised. Maybe bluox can help you

  10. #10murfdog2020-12-29 08:12

    Just curious what does a counter bore job usually cost?

  11. #11JPV2020-12-29 08:41

    Try Peterson Cat, Jimmy is the man you want if Bluox can't.

  12. #12Hallback2020-12-30 16:13

    Call Scott Latherow. If you need his number, pm me.

  13. #13Hallback2020-12-30 17:07

    Austin at Longview is pretty good too.

  14. #14Akmc52020-12-30 21:24

    Thanks Gents.....I'll let you know what I find when I pull it apart.

  15. #15JPV2020-12-31 21:49

    Been talking to Austin the last couple days, the C-16 in the log truck seized a piston pulling Peterman hill on the way to Morton yesterday morning so he is fixing it under warranty, he rebuilt it a year and a half ago. He figures the injector failed and washed the cylinder, it was evenly scored all the way around. He is planning on working over the weekend to be sure it is ready to go Monday, pretty good service!

  16. #16Hallback2020-12-31 22:13

    He puts in alot of hours & is a hard worker. Most people don't realize just how hard of a pull that hill is.

  17. #17skyking12021-01-01 02:49

    I've never had a loaded truck on it, but my Dodge Cummins took notice towing the travel trailer over it!

  18. #18Hallback2021-01-01 09:49

    My 990 loaded with the 568 Cat shovel crests the hill at 27mph. Lol

  19. #19skyking12021-01-01 10:35

    Funny how you learn the gear and the right RPM = X MPH on most hills. My combo does 29 on Tiger Mountain and eastbound Snoqualmie. It's a 325 hp/1050 torque 3406B. I recently dropped the tonnage to 72,000 because there's no way I'm ever hauling any bedding and the big excavator anywhere.

  20. #20JPV2021-01-01 10:41

    Nate says he can pull it at 55 no problem at 96,000 lbs normally, that thing seems to put out all 600 hp it is supposed to have.

  21. #21Hallback2021-01-01 15:40

    I'd imagine he could. Our isx in the old T-800 was supposed to be 650 but I'd bet it was closer to 725. It was way too hot. I am 174k with the 568 on.

  22. #22Truck Shop2021-01-01 19:47

    Here's the power house, problem with all trucks with huge power is keeping a gearbox alive.

  23. #23Hallback2021-01-01 22:22

    22918 & just roll into it!

  24. #24Truck Shop2021-01-02 07:40

    The weak link that's overlooked is the input shaft, even though the later boxes have a 2.5". Constant on fuel then jake/ retarder work the shaft pretty hard. Just the 1850 torque boxes I've replaced several input shafts that snapped after jake was applied.

  25. #25Hallback2021-01-02 08:07

    I've heard that the big transmissions kill shafts & "usually" not gears but my guy (Dave Watson @ The Gear Box) says I'll kill both. Lol

  26. #26Truck Shop2021-01-02 09:56

    The hard surfacing on the gears goes away quickly the more torque applied.