Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance for single axle dump truck

Man with a plan · 2020-12-26 09:03

I'm thinking about buying a single axle dump truck to use as I'm trying to start an excavating company part time on the side at first then full time as work picks up. I am just wondering what others are paying for insurance for a single axle dump with air brakes and 33,000gvwr. Am I better off finding a local insurance company to work with or if anyone has a online/other insurance source that is better/cheaper than working with a local agent. Thanks in advance.

Replies25
  1. #1ToyLC2020-12-26 10:12

    I have a S/A at 25k lbs no air brakes and I pay $500 a year which seems high to me and it’s not for hire, just personal use. Interested to hear what others are seeing as well.

  2. #2AllDodge2020-12-26 10:57

    Depends on what liability you get. My single dump for personal use only is 133 a year (Liability only, and 50 mile radius)

  3. #3colson042020-12-26 11:03

    My S/A was $200 every 6 months, personal use only. Insurance agent needed empty weight of truck to get personal policy though as anything over 15,000 pounds automatically goes to commercial policy (what I was told).

  4. #4AllDodge2020-12-26 11:04

    Agree, mine is commercial policy from Farm Bureau

  5. #5hvy 1ton2020-12-26 11:51

    I've been told some policies consider anything with dropsides a 'landscape truck' and not a dump truck which significantly lowers premiums.

  6. #6Man with a plan2020-12-26 11:57

    I got a quote from my erie insurance agent and for a 2000 Ford f650 dump with hyd. brakes under cdl that i was looking at and it was like 1200 dollars a year to be commercial for hire. I believe if I remember correctly erie wouldn't even insure it the policy they found me was through progressive insurance.

  7. #7Man with a plan2020-12-26 11:58

    So any insurance companies that you would recommend to try would be appreciated.

  8. #8colson042020-12-26 12:07

    I had Auto-Owners for my truck, but they would not do a commercial policy. That's why the wanted empty weight of truck and had a strict 'not insured if used for hire' clause written in bold print on my policy. My agent did say I they had other places they could get a commercial policy through, but I never went that route.

  9. #9PeterG2020-12-26 12:50

    I have a 1990 International 4900 33,000GVW licensed in State of WA 38,000lb. Due to that size truck, or trucks for business over 15,000lb GVW, the vehicles are going to be considered commercial vehicles or just for farm use exempt. As I'm a business, with some other business equipment such as mini ecavators, trailers, track loaders, dingo, plate compactor, job box, etc all insured under the same company, I've been paying just under $500 a month. But that's with a 1990 one ton F450 landscape dump, the international and all the other equipment. I recently sold the F450, added a used 2007 Chevy 3500 service truck, and have a 2008 Kenworth T800 dump truck. Insurance is now around $1000.00 per month. The insurance is with Liberty Mutual. Regarding cost with the insurance, you need at min class B CDL and a class A CDL if you pull a 14GVW trailer or bigger commercial. I have a class A CDL. The rate may depend if you buy a new dump truck. I would suggest buying something old and fixing it up slowly and having it paid off, but you can also just get something workable in the $12,000 - $35,000 range with some nice trucks around $25,000. They may also ask what you are doing with the equipment. It cost more if you say you are excavating as they assume you are using full size trucks and a 25 ton excavator. Better to have a general contractor name or Landscape construction name .

  10. #10mowingman2020-12-26 18:30

    If there is any way you can keep it classified as landscape use, it will cost less for insurance. I had two dump trucks that insurance classified as "landscape use". That is really what they were used for. Well, Progressive decided to reclassify them both out of the landscape category, and they became regular commercial dump trucks as far as they were concerned. Insurance went through the roof. I sold both trucks and retired from trucking altogether. Do not get insurance from Progressive, as they are a rip off. Jeff

  11. #11doublewide2020-12-26 18:40

    Commerce Insurance, $1500.00 / year.

  12. #12Man with a plan2020-12-26 18:45

    Can I ask what insurance company you use?

  13. #13doublewide2020-12-26 18:49

    Commerce.

  14. #14Man with a plan2020-12-26 18:57

    Sorry, I thought you miss typed commercial as commerce. Have never heard of them will have to do some research. Thanks

  15. #15cw4Bray2020-12-26 19:31

    I wouldn't get snapshot from progressiv . It might save you $ 30. every six months on insurance premiums, but it could cost you $200. on a new battery because of parasitic battery drain. There's more than one class action suit over damaged electrical systems due to their "snapshot" system. It's false economy in this case. A battery tender won't help either, if you need to replace an ECU or a alternator after their monitoring period.

  16. #16_Weldman_2020-12-27 00:39

    I know Peoples Republic of Washington is raping you just with registration rates there and the zip code you are in. Left the place and my registration dropped $380 a year and that's after I went from 26k GVWR to 33k GVWR in Montana. Anywho to contribute to this thread between my two personal owned rigs 86' S1900 International 33k GVWR and 94' Volvo WIA 50k GVWR is $188 a month through Stockmans insurance which goes through Progressive Commercial insurance.

  17. #17Flat Thunder Channel2020-12-27 00:57

    Keep in mind the limits of liability. The state typically mandates minimum coverages. Meaning the cheapest solution is usually a bare bones policy which doesn't provide much protection. If you are using it for hire make sure it is listed under an LLC. Also I would think about adding a balloon policy for the business. This can be obtained relatively cheap in comparison to vehicle policies and can be an addition cya policy.

  18. #18_Weldman_2020-12-27 01:14

    Only thing to hit out here is cows, deer, pheasants and turkeys... not pot heads, Californians, drug addicts and protestors

  19. #19Flat Thunder Channel2020-12-27 09:23

    I watch my policies closer since my sister is a lawyer. She knows how vicious they can get when attacking your funds. All my vehicle policies are at the upper if not maximum limits. If I performed any type of work for hire I would have a balloon policy too. They are pretty cheap and provide an extra layer of protection. Its a crazy world we live in these days.

  20. #20Andy1845c2020-12-27 21:45

    I pay about $350/year for me S/A truck. More of a landscape bed than a gravel truck. Never was questioned much on that when I was getting quotes but was also careful never to call it a dump truck. My policy is for personal use and I am the only one that can drive it. I don't recall what a for hire policy jumped to. It was quite a bit. The cost of truck insurance and liability insurance and insurance on any equipment in my eyes makes starting a legit legal side business in this industry kinda hard.

  21. #21suladas2020-12-28 15:54

    While you need to make sure you have proper insurance in place, the smartest thing is making sure you operate under a limited company, and that all your company assets are owned by a separate limited company. In case **** hits the fan and insurance won't cover everything, all your company assets are safe.

  22. #22Raildudes dad2020-12-28 18:47

    You might be playing with fire. You have an incident and the insurance company finds out it's a dump truck and your insurance will be worth zilch. You could be sued for fraud. You are best off being up front with the insurance company.

  23. #23Andy1845c2020-12-28 21:26

    Its a flatbed with a knuckleboom and a hoist. Its NOT really a dump truck in the way most people think of a dump truck.

  24. #24suladas2020-12-29 01:14

    This is the exact reason why you email your broker for adding, changing, deleting coverage. For about 3 months my dump truck only had fire and theft on it because my broker isn't very bright (being very nice) but since in my email I clearly said plpd, fire, and theft I was covered, not only covered but I got the 3 months of plpd for free. IMO I would forward them a copy of the bill of sale, and honestly answer any questions they have beyond that. You don't need to outright say it's a dump truck. I can't say for sure my insurance company knows mine is a dump, my cheap rate says probably not I only pay $600 a year. But I provided them the bill of sale and answered any questions honestly. Insurance card just says make and model. They are the expert, it's not my job to tell them every little detail, nor does any paperwork say anything like "tractor" "dump truck" or anything of such for me to know it's not right. The only question they asked is if it's primary use is to pull my tag around, which is yes because it is.

  25. #25Andy1845c2020-12-29 21:23

    I can only assume that insurance tends to be more on a "dump truck" because the box on a typical "dump truck" isn't very handy for hauling anything other than loose aggregate and these materials tend to be what causes windshield damage on the highway? They must assume that most of the time the truck is on the road there will be loose rocks in the bed? I really can't see any other reason for hang ups with insuring a truck with a gravel box on it. But I have also had to get a commercial policy to insure a 1-ton flat bed for personal use. Insurance companies don't always have real sound logic for things in my experience.