Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Counterweight bolts

John Shipp ยท 2023-05-26 05:33

Hi all, have removed counterweight on this Hyundai R145LCR-9a (serial ending 00000194) to do some maintenance, and cleaning the 5 x m36x3mm bolts I'm not sure if it's compacted gunge or remnants of locktite in the bottom of the threads. On other counterweights I've removed have not seen threadlock on bolts, and it doesn't say anything about the subject in the Hyundai service manual for the machine. They're torqued up to 2300 lbft so don't want to add to the difficulties next time by putting threadlock on unnecessarily Have any of you had to put threadlock on any counterweight bolts before? I was planning on some copperslip on threads and washers is all...

Replies3
  1. #1John Shipp2023-05-27 03:41

    I meant to say, it's a CAT 314!

  2. #2crane operator2023-05-27 08:37

    I haven't seen anyone put locktite on counterweight bolts when they have me come with the crane to install/ remove them. As tight as most of them have to be- I don't see the need for loctite. Plus on the big excavators, the counterweight is going to come right back off when the job is done- to get hauled to the next job.

  3. #3John Shipp2023-05-27 08:43

    Thanks crane op, makes sense